A/C fan motor chirps/squeals

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Griz

Hi, this question pertains to a Miller unit. Model# on the furnace is MGHA-075ABFC-01, the model# on the A/C unit is illegible, so I don't know what size unit I am dealing with. I just noticed the condenser fan motor making a chirping/squealing noise today, so I shut if off immediately. That sounds like a bearing issue to me, can you confirm? Thanks, Griz
flcruising

A noise like you describe is likely a bad motor bearing. If you can access it, sometimes oil will help postpone the failure. But if it's still spinning, then I would run it until you can get a new motor ordered.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Griz

Thanks for the reply Aaron, that's what I thought, and confirmed through a call to a local motor shop. The tech advised me to pull the motor off, and see if there is a cap protecting a channel to get oil to the bearing. Since there is no cap, it is probably a riveted bushing, rather than a bearing, and is a throw away motor..."sigh"..... Another expense we didn't need right now! With 90 degree temps this weekend, and no $$ until next week, looks like we'll have to run it until it quits.

Griz
flcruising

So you already removed the motor? If so, I wouldn't hesitate to place several drops of heavy oil (like 75w-90 gear oil) down the shaft on both ends if you can. Most condenser fan motors have 1 shaft facing down, so if you can get some oil into the bottom somehow, it may help. Spin the shaft while applying. If you are so inclined, you can also disassemble it to get to the opposite shaft end bearing/bushing. Good luck!
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Griz

Hi Aaron, I did that last evening as a last resort to try to get through the weekend. The unit has been running (fingers crossed) just fine ever since. I'll probably still pick up a replacement motor next week, but hopefully we'll get through this little heat wave! Thanks again for your help.
Griz