Duo Therm furnace and soot-unknown model but it's an oldy

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

diddypc

My Dad has a mobile home with an older DuoTherm furnace that seemed to be running great until we noticed a large amount of soot building up in the combustion chamber, and an odor in the home. The chimney has also sooted up at the top. We've shut the furnace down until we resolve the issue. I spoke a technican and was told it's probably an air intake issue. In my opinion the burner didn't seem to burn correctly prior but... So I've taken the top cover and can see the heat exchanger, but have no idea how to get into to clean it out nor where the air intake would be. There are three stacks to the exchanger, then a manifold type device at the top just before going out the chimney stack. Anyone have any experience with these older units?
diddypc

As an update to this post I made awhile back. It did in fact have the incorrect orifice installed. I've cleaned the entire box, exchanger pipes and chimeney. Just have to figure out how to swap the orifice per my other post.