Condensor Fan Not Running

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

garmy

Hello all,
I have a Carrier Model 50HX-048-301AA heat pump unit. My problem is when the heat is on the condensor fan does not run, it makes a loud humming sound, the blower works fine and blows air inside but I am unsure if the condesor fan should be running when the heat is on. I just checked to see if the fa would run with the a/c on and it does the same thing, just hums and does not run. I pushed the blades with a stick to see if it would spin but it would not spin, after I turned the unit off I tried again and the fn spun freely, it didnt feel like anything was blocking it. Hope someone has some suggestions as to what is going on. Thanks.
George
Robert

Hi George,

Would need to know if it was getting full power. Could be motor, run capacitor or a wiring connection or a component in the circuit.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
garmy

I checked the voltage at the motor and I was getting about 206vac when the system is on. After I put the fan blades back on I started the system again and the fan ran for about 5 minutes but then it began to turn slower and slower until it stopped spinning and began to make the loud humming again.
Robert

Hi,

Should be getting 240VAC. Need to see why it is only getting 206VAC.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
garmy

I opened up everything and chased some wires, when I pulled the cover off the compressor wires I found a dead lizard laying across the terminals, removed that and put everything back together. Turned the system on for a couple minutes and everything seemed to be working fine, no loud humming and the fan was spinning, I checked the voltage at the fan motor and it is getting about 245VAC. I haven't tried running for long periods yet but I am guessing maybe the lizard laying across the terminals could have been the problem. Thanks.
George
Robert

Hi George,

Hopefully no damage was done and it will keep running. Thanks for the update.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
garmy

Hello again,
Here is an update, I started the units A/C today and it started running fine, after abut five minutes or so it sounded like the fan was slowing down and then the fan stopped and itwas making the loud humming sound again, I checked the voltage at the fan motor and I was getting about 235VAC, when it first started I was getting about 260VAC at the motor, could this be a problem with the run capacitor or something else? Thanks again for any help.
George
Robert

Hi George,

The lizard most likely shorted out the run capacitor. Let me know if you need ordering info.

Thanks,
Robert
garmy

yes, It looks like I will need some info on ordering one, not sure what size the one is that is in there. Thank you.
George
Robert

Hi George,

I don't have any cross-reference data for that Carrier heat pump. Look and see if you can read the sticker or printed specs on the old one.

Look for mfd or uf rating and for the VAC rating.

VAC will be 370 or 440.

Do not touch the terminals, the run cap could still possibly be charged with high voltage.

Thanks,
Robert
garmy

I checked it and this is what I came up with, it looks like a daul run capacitor, it has three sets of terminals, the one in thee middle has four posts. it has on the sticker 10uF/60uF 370VAC
It is a GE capacitor, I think it is model number 27L5044
Let me know if there is any other information you need.
Thank you.
George
garmy

I was doing some checking on the condensor motor, I believe that it is bad as well, there is a strong odor coming from the motor, curiousity got to me so I pulled the motor off and opened it, there ar some spots in there that look really burnt and some of the metal fins on the side are no longer in a line but looks like they got pushed over to the side and started to rub the spinning shaft, I believe this is also a problem because the motor was very hot when it stopped spinning, after it cooled down it seemed to want to run again. If you get me some ordering info for this aslo I would appreciate it. It is a 1/3 HP 1100 RPM 208-230 VAC 1 Phase motor
Thanks again.
George
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert

Hi George,

Not having any success cross-referencing to get a valid p/n. To save time, please call Mark @

605-229-2627 and give him the info on condenser and fan motor and dual run cap.

You can send him pics at [email protected] .

Mark owns the websites and online stores and ships from his walk-in store.

He can get what you need quicker from his distributors.

Thanks,
Robert