Central air not working!

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

gram2logan

We just turned it on for the first time this year. The unit is running and the furnace is blowing the air, but it's not cool at all. Obviously we are more than a little ticked off. It's barely a year old.

Any suggestions? The place that installed it is closed on weekends, so we can't call them yet.
Stop talking before people stop listening!
Yanita

Hi Gram,

I am going to move this to the Heating and Cooling forums...Robert can trouble shoot from there.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
gram2logan

I found the receipt and here's the furnace model #, etc.

Intertherm 70,000 BTU
Model #MIMB070ABW
Serial # MIA051101895

There's nothing about the AC unit except to say it's 2.5 ton.

I also can add that the blower has never been very forceful. We often wondered why it was like that because the new unit we bought at our old trailer was much better. The air blowing out of the registers (whether heat or cool) is hardly noticeable in most of the registers. But that's a different issue. We just want cool air now!
Robert

Hi,

Check outdoor condenser unit to be sure BOTH the compressor down inside is running and the condenser fan motor.

Next, there's two lines, one big and one small running from condenser to indoor a-coil.

Slide back insulation on big line a little and wrap fingers around it, is it cold ?

Look on outdoor condenser unit, what is the model number ?

Are you in a single wide or double/triple ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
gram2logan

No the line is not cold. Can't tell if both motors are running.

Model # is 53QA-030KA (2.5 ton)

Hubby thinks there's no freon in it. He says the young men who installed it didn't seem to know what they were doing. Do you think that's possible? Could it have leaked out? It was never really cold in here last summer.

We have a 22 x 53 double wide (made in 1967)

Thanks Robert.
Robert

Hi,

It could be low on charge or compressor not running. You'll need to have a Tech check the pressures/temps to know about charge.

If it's low, find the leak and repair it.

Airflow could be due to dirty filter, dirty a-coil, crossover duct(s) kinked, torn or loose.

Also may not have correct motor or motor speed.

A good Tech from a reputable company can easily resolve this.

If you place an ear against side of unit close, you can hear the hmmmmm of the compressor inside.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
gram2logan

Well, it's fixed. The same company that installed it came out today. Seems that the company (Intertherm) provided them with a bunch of units with bad o rings. The o rings inside the furnace and I guess outside in the A/C unit were both bad and the freon had all leaked out.

The repair guy said that Intertherm is not standing by their warranty either - saying it was installed improperly. So the company is covering the warranty at their own expense.

At least it's cool in here now! In fact, if you stand on a register, it almost hurts it's so cold. LOL
Robert

Hi,

If they had received several like that, they would have some that hadn't been installed yet and could prove they were bad.

Intertherm couldn't say bad install if they weren't installed yet.

See where I'm going here.

They would be able to easily prove this IF it were true.

Having a bad install and blaming the manufacturer is an old game to save reputation.

Bad O rings in Condensers and A-Coils happen, but not that many units at once and it is easily proven.

Bad installs happens alot and with both inside and out, I tend to agree with Intertherm.

Also, a bad o-ring won't seal properly and will leak from the start, so again, another reason to believe Intertherm.

I think they ate the crow to save face.

You're cool and it's all fixed now, so enjoy.

Might want to consider someone else if ever you need a repair though.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe I am.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert