Robertshaw-Grayson Valve

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

ashley0699

Hello,

I am having problems lighting my furnace. The pilot won't light. I can not smell gas coming out of the orifice. I replaced the thermocouple last night and it still wouldn't light. I checked the voltage going to the relay and it was 23vac.

I can hear the valve clicking when I turn it on.
The model of the valve is a Robertshaw-grayson 7200ERCS-1.

Thanks
Ashley
Brenda (OH)

Hi Ashley,

your question will probably get moved over to the heating and cooling section, but a couple of quick suggestions:

check that the gas valve into the furnace is turned correctly to on....

read all of the directions to light the pilot several times.. I once had a furnace that had to be lit with the dial on "setting" and moved to "pilot after 5 minutes, then to on position... never had one like it since.... so read the directions or look on the internet for the manufacturers website to see if their is an online manual for your model...

if the gas was off at the meter, it takes a long time of pushing the button or whatever it is on your furnace to bleed the air out, and get gas over to the furnace.

the HVAC guy I work with sometimes gets bad brand new thermocouples so maybe try another one...

are you getting the flame where you need it to go? I have had to make special match holders and get fire place matches to reach very deeply into the furnace... like 20 inches inside.
I had to shine a flash light at the pilot light assembly to see that i was getting the lit match to the pilot light... gee, you would not believe how frustrating it is trying to light the support bracket by mistake... the pilot on the furnace was 2 inches higher than I thought lol

the gas control mechanism unit may just be gone bad, and the whole thing can be replaced... that is getting into the swap the parts until the unit works theory... maybe time for an HVAC guy to try it.... I have puzzled a few of them with mobile home gas furnaces... we have had some weird issues on them... In my area, only about 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 furnace repair companies will work on a mobile home furnace, so be sure they know it is a mobile home before you take off work and wait for them to come and then tell you . "oh, our company does not work on mobile homes...."

I hope that gets you started....

Brenda (OH)
Greg

Ashley, As Brenda said, I'm going to move this to the heating section. Robert is much better versed in heating repairs. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

I answered her post in the Coleman forum.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?