Intertherm mgh-055-abwl-06 flame flutters

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

70dart360

My flame flutters like crazy. With the cover off and the trap door just hanging it dosent do it as bad. Lock the door and it will die, out open it real quick and it flames back up. Hold the door all the way open and it dosent do it at all. Checked the roof stack and its clear. Any ideas? The flame is nice and blue. I did just change the thermo-coupler because the pilot light wouldnt stay lit. It does now, but could the new one be faulty or is it not getting vented properly? Thanks, Tim
Robert

Hi Tim,

I would get an hvac tech in there to inspect the heat exchanger for cracks and also inspect the roof-jack thoroughly.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
70dart360

I have a couple of buddies that are techs. They said a crack is possible but doubtful because its not putting out any co's. The thing flutters even before the fan comes on. Its like its smothering itself. They're both stumped. I guess the next move is to pull it out and inspect it. Is there any kind of damper under the unit where the a-coils are that may cause this? I completely took tor roof jack out and apart, its clean. Thanks, Tim
Robert

Hi,

There should only be a damper underneath if you have a packaged/self-contained a/c unit outside.

You don't, so unless one was there previously and left, should be ok there.

Not much else I can do without being there to thoroughly inspect it.

Check burner, orifice, etc., anywhere the gas/air comes through.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?