Honeywell Model # 3020N40

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Greg S

Is there anyway to determine the year of a furnace from the information on the identification plate. I have some info regarding the furnace but am not sure how reliable it is as I was given it over the phone by the owner. I am looking to buy it but will not if it is more than 10 years old.

The info I have is: Honeywell HEDF605
SN 10154334
Model # 3020N40

Do any of those numbers look familiar and do any of the numbers include the year of manufacture.
Any help in identifying this unit would be appreciated.

Thanks.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Robert

Hi Greg,

In 30+ years of hvac service, I have never seen or heard of a Honeywell Furnace. Make sure he is giving the info from furnace data sticker or nameplate and not from the gas valve, filter, etc..

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg S

I was not confident I was getting accurate information from the owner over the phone.
Hopefully I will have a chance to see it myself this weekend and get more info.
Thanks

Greg
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Robert

Hi Greg,

Sounds good, may learn something new here. If there is one, would love to know about it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg S

Talking to the owner again it is definitely not a Honeywell. He believes it to be a Clair or something like that. I have never heard of this maker but regardless it appears to be quite old and not suitable to invest money in to install in a home.
My options are very limited and due to time and weather I am forced to buy new. This will likely be in the range of $3-$4000 installed which is a painful pill to swallow.
Robert

Hi Greg,

Painful yes, but buying older used sometimes can lead to never swallowing again, so being safe will help over long haul.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Greg S

I was not really comfortable buying used as I am concerned about safety. Having it installed by a professional and properly tested would have elevated most of my safety concerns but could not guarantee longevity.
The fact is I have bought this home with the intention of renovating and reselling. The profit margin on this type of home is very thin so I am being very budget minded. At the same time I want to sell a product of relatively high quality.
Robert

Hi Greg,

Understood and a wise decision.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert