On my third blower motor!

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

thdbmn

What are the main causes of blower motors to burn out? I have had a couple of a/c guys out here and none of them could give me an answer or fix the problem. The blower motor I have in there now just quit working one day with no smoking or burning smell (when the first one went out it was obvious) but when I took the motor out there are a few burn marks on the coil but it doesn't have that classic burn smell.

With the little bit of burn marks on the motor will I have to replace it? Is there anyway to test it? What about a bad capacitor? The unit is a Intertherm 1/3 hp 4 speed. Winter is coming fast and anything you guys can tell me would be awesome. Thank you!
Robert

Hi,

Did you replace the run capacitor with each motor replacement ?

You can ohm out the motor wires to see if windings are ok.

Have you or anyone checked the amp draw on the motors ?

What about the voltage ?

If furnace is old, how is the wiring conditions ?

Is it getting correct airflow ?

Is the a/c a-coil clean ?

New motor (correct one also) + new run cap with correct amp draw and voltage should work fine.

What is your furnace model number ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?