Miller Gas Furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TonyPa

My neighbor was over when I was doing some work on the house. At the same time, I decided to get the furnace going, to check it out, since I am new to the house. I had it running, and of course, it is working fine. But he flipped open a little flap, and looked through a hole, and said something about the flame being too high, Something about the flame was too high, and could end up cracking something? It is a Miller Gas Furnace if that helps.
I see a little type of pot in there, that the flame is coming up out of. Is it hard to make the adjustment? And how high should I make the flame?
Robert

Hi Tony,

What is the furnace model number ?

Is it the burner flame or a pilot flame ?

How high was it ?

Get more info from neighbor on what it will crack and how "too high" it is.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
TonyPa

I see two model numbers:
one is: CMF80-AG
two is: CMF80-PG

I checked the flame, and it is above the pot so far, that I cannot see where the top of it ends. It is pretty high.

He was just stating that it can end up cracking some type of chamber, from being that high. He wants me to take off my blower motor, and check the chamber. Which is fine, but I don't see how you adjust the flame, or the proper height it should be.
Robert

Hi Tony,

If it's the burner flame, then you'll need to call an hvac tech. There's a lot more to inspecting a heat exchanger than just removing a blower motor and taking a look.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?