GE Condenser Fan Motor: What Capacitor to use?

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Erin Higgins

Hello,

I'm running an Intertherm air unit that is using a GE Condenser Fan Motor. The motor stopped coming on automatically and now has to be turned by hand, which is a sign of a capacitor gone bad (from what I've heard).

Problem is, the capacitor label is completely worn off, likely due to its age (15 years and counting). I'm not an electrical guru, but I'll bet someone on here knows how to spec it out if I give the motor dimensions:

GE MODEL #5KCP39GF
Volts: 208-230
Amps: 1.50
RPM: 825

Any help would me much appreciated!
"Well, a wala lala maki LUKI HUKI! That's 'Johnny' for "When does the plane leave?" --Johnny Bravo
Robert

Run cap size should be listed on the motor data sticker along with the other info.

Probably 5mfd/370v or 7.5mfd/370v .

Do you know condensing unit model number ?

What hp is the motor ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Erin Higgins

Thanks, Robert. 5.00/370 was listed on the motor, plain as day. Just didn't know where to look.

It's a 1/4hp motor.

I love Tennessee...went to visit some aunts/uncles/cousins last year; they live around the Franklin/Murphreesboro/Hoenwald area. Nice country.

Thx again.

--Erin
"Well, a wala lala maki LUKI HUKI! That's 'Johnny' for "When does the plane leave?" --Johnny Bravo
Robert

Hi Erin,

You're very welcome, happy to help. We are in far West Tennessee.

I love the Franklin area also.

I am originally from SC.

Texas is on our list as we have never been there at all.

My wife has family in Dallas area and we have friends in Houston.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Erin Higgins

Hi again Robert.

Well, here's the deal...what I told you was true. The motor's label calls for 5mfd/370v capacitor. So I went out an bought just that.

Problem is, the capacitor currently on the condenser unit also powers the compressor, which makes it a "dual run" capacitor from what all I've read.

Do they make a 5mfd/370v in a Dual Run version, or will the Dual Run be of a different spec?

You had asked the model number for the intertherm condenser unit. It is 53RA-048K.

Thx again,

Erin
Robert

Hi Erin,

Look at model number again please.

Would have to be S3BA or S3QA.

Also, what letters follow the 048 ?

You could use pipe strap with perforated holes to mount the run cap you bought securely.

Then remove wires from dual run cap FAN terminals and connect to new run cap.

Then make a jumper wire and connect from dual center COM terminal over to other side of the new run cap.

DO NOT touch the run cap terminals without touching a screwdriver shaft across the terminals all at same time to discharge it while holding insulated handle.

Thanks,
Robert