Weird clicking and no heat.....

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

mjpogue

Hey all-

I have a Goodman CPLE30 A/C Compressor which has been giving me fits. My problem is that when the unit is turned on I get a sporadic clicking noise and the fan does not reach its max rpm. (it seems like their is not enough power for it to hit max speed). When the clicking occurs, only cool air comes out of the vents. To date, I have replaced the contractor which seemed to temporally fix the problem. Because the capacitor is not swelled, I am thinking my problem is the Defrost Control board.

What do you think?

Michael
Robert

Hi Michael,

Is it the outside condensing unit of your a/c heat pump that is not working right ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mjpogue

Yep, that's the one. The outside unit. I woke up this morning and it was only blowing out cool air. I went out to take a closer look, and there was frost all over the coils and pipes.

Thanks

Mike
Robert

Hi Mike,

The defrost control board is a good possibility and most likely from what you've stated.

Have you switched t-stat over to emergency heat yet ?

If not, do that until this is resolved and you will stay warm.

Can give ordering info if needed.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
mjpogue

Hey-

Thanks a ton. sorry it took so long for me to reply. I am going to pick up a new board today. I will post my results. I hope this works.

Michael
Robert

You're very welcome, happy to help and hope that takes care of it.

Thanks,
Robert
mjpogue

Well... The new defrost board is installed and the fan is working great. However, weirdly enough the coil is not defrosting. I think because the coil is not defrosting, I am not getting even heat temp. Any suggestions.

Thanks for your help!
Michael
Robert

Hi Michael,

I would at this point call an hvac tech to check it for proper diagnosis. I try to get people too involved with DIY on heat pumps as they are easy to misdiagnose, easy to damage and easy to create costly repairs if not experienced with them.

I have come behind a lot of hvac techs on heat pumps and was on receiving end of the costly repairs to further explain my reasoning.

Pay for the service call and get correct diagnosis (be sure they are reputable with heat pump experience). If it is minor and can be done DIY, have at it, at least you will know it is correct fix.

Thanks,
Robert