Mobile home furnace not working but a/c is?

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

cynthia.galloway

:cry: Hello. Just want to get one thing straight before I start. I am a girl, and I am not so smart about how these furnaces, ac units, well pumps, etc. work. Bear with me as I attempt to explain my dilemma. My brother recently installed a new FEY "A" series Central Electric Furnace (Air Conditioner or Heat Pump Handler) into my single-wide 2 bedroom mobile home (OKOK trailer). Things have worked beautifully since Christmas eve when he did this. I used heat last night, no problems. Tonight when I went to turn on heat, (I had it turned to "cool" for a/c earlier today), I accidentally switched from cool to heat without waiting the usually required 5 minutes as I usually do. I put the thermostat back to "off", other selector was on "auto" already. I waited 5 min. and then turned to "heat". No matter where I set the temperature dial the heat would not come on. I then tried heat in "on" position. The blower came on in that position, but the air blowing out the return was cold and stayed cold for at least 5-10 minutes, so I cut it off. I then turned back to "off", waited 5 minutes, turned to "cool" and "auto". Cold air came on just fine in "on" and "auto" position. I also checked the breakers and they seemed ok-how do I tell if they are bad? I hit the reset button, I cut the main breakers off for 20 min and then restarted the process over again, same results. I finally went to the garage and brought in my little electric heater to keep me toasty for tonight. What could be the problem? Is this serious as far as repair? How can I prevent this from happening in the future? Thank you so kindly for your time and consideration regarding this enigma. Cynthia
Cynthia
Robert

Hi Cynthia,

It could be a faulty transformer IF you have two, one each for cooling and heating.

Or, a faulty thermostat reversing relay, faulty heat-off-cool switch or faulty sequencer.

You would need to have a multi meter and check those components in the circuit to find the fault.

Too many variables to know why without being there.

Without needed experience in testing the circuitry, would be best to have an hvac tech diagnose and repair properly.

BTW, trailer is a bad word around here. We simply prefer HOME.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?