banging noise from blower wheel

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

wingnut_721

robert, i have experienced loud banging noises on my coleman furnace, and a month ago i took out the squirrel cage and blower assembly, wiped and blew all the dust out of every conceivable place, put it back in and the rumbling seems worse. I am wondering if I have a bearing out or something of that nature. should i try to readjust the two balancers on the wheel? what should i do? i checked all the bolts and the wheel again today and everything was tight, so i dont know what route to take now. any advice is greatly appreciated
thanx,
Larry

(sorry about posting this to another previous post.... wont happen again...lol)
Robert

Hi Larry,

IF it's the balancer clips, you'll have to replace the wheel.

Remove the wheel and run blower motor without it and see what you hear.

Does it have oil ports ? If so, has it been oiled with SAE20 oil ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
wingnut_721

Robert, I think we may have it figured out. a different furnace tech came out and did a VERY thorough once-over and he deduced that we need a new heat exchanger, so he put the part on order and right now its in Ohio, and will take 8-9 days to get to Wisconsin, so right now its kind of dicey but at least i know what the problem finally is... i will post an update once it is fixed.
its great to know what the exact problem is.
and the banging noise was from a hole or crack in the furnace, so they repaired it and so far no noise or banging today, and the furnace isnt running nearly as much as it has for the past month.
now my only concern is carbon monoxide...im hoping they can fast-track the part so it is in by mid-week!
thank you for your advice and help Robert, your advice has been a wonderful asset!
Warmest Regards,
Larry
Robert

Hi Larry,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Thank God for that hvac tech who found it after a thorough inspection.

Make sure multiple CO monitors are in place and watch it close until replaced.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
wingnut_721

robert- just giving you a quick update, so far we have not recieved the heat exchanger yet, still in transit(must be shipping it by amish buggy or something...) so we are staying at my brother-in-laws house until we get the problem fixed, the gas co said the part should be here either today or tomorrow, so the only issue im worried about is frozen pipes due to the baseboards not getting any heat, so we have two space heaters pointing underneath the cupboards in the kitchen and bathroom where it always seems to freeze up on us, and so far, last night being -8 here, the water is still running good, i keep coming over here every 3-4 hours to run the water and make sure it doesnt freeze. so hopefully next time i write it will be from the cozy confines of my house, instead of the igloo i am in now.
thank you for your help and concern in this matter!
Larry
Robert

Hi Larry,

Thanks for update and you're very welcome, happy to help.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert