Flame goes out when blower moter turns on

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Dano

I have a Standard Blend Air II Model 7681-8191/A with a Direct Vent Forced Air Furnace Model DGAM056BDD. I double checked the model numbers and they are correct.

My problem with it is that the furnace (the gas flame) turns off when the blower motor turns on. It blows semi-warm air for a little while then it blows cool air. The flame does not start again until the blower motor turns off. It cycles like this all night long and takes a long time to get warm inside the trailer. The furnace does not get that hot before the blower motor starts, so the air from the vents is only slightly warm.

The people I rent the trailer from had someone here to fix it while I was at work, so I don't know what they did. It worked for a few days then went back to the symptom above.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks,
Dano
Dano

Sorry everyone, I should have read the article about short heating cycles first (well duh!). Google took me to the Forum first, it was later that I went to the home page and found that article on the anticipator setting causing short heating cycles.

Turns out it WAS the anticipator setting on the thermostat. It was set at .1 and I moved it to .4. I did a test run and it got up to 80 degrees real fast and in one cycle! The flame did not go out when the blower started either. That fixed it! Thank you for the article and thank you for all the information on your website!

The thermostat says Trane, but there is no manufacturer name on the unit itself. There is a place for one but someone removed it.

I contacted Trane for the correct Anticipator setting and I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Thank you very much!

Dano
Robert

Hi Dano,

The anticipator setting is set for the furnace, not the thermostat, so look at your gas valve. The anticipator setting will be on the gas valve.

If not legible, contact Coleman to get heat anticipator setting.

I looked at my data and couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dano

Hi Robert, thank you for the reply and thank you for taking the time to look up the info for my furnace.

OK, I admit it, I had to put on both pairs of reading glasses to make out anything legible on the gas valve. :D

I found a stamp on the bottom of the gas input connection that looked like a spoked wheel with the number 5 in the middle of it, and there were dots in between the spokes on the right hand side starting from the 12 o'clock position all the way down to the 6 o'clock position.

The number 121 was to the left of it, and both were stamped into the aluminum case of the gas valve.

The only other numbers I found were stamped in ink, A1 and A9, and I am assuming they may be the numbers of the people who inspected it. (just a guess)

Other than that I didn't see any other numbers on the valve.

Thank you for telling me it is a Coleman, I had no idea. My furnace and blower look exactly like the one in the picture in the article "Let the furnace tell you what's wrong". It's right above the article about short heating cycles.

Also, on the sticker where I got the model and serial numbers, I found this number at the very bottom of the sticker, 7956-462/C. Would that number be useful to Coleman when I contact them?

Again, than you very much for all your info and effort in helping me!
Robert

Hi Dano,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Just tell them you need heat anticipator setting for DGAM056BDD furnace.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dano

Thanks Robert, I sent Coleman an email this morning. I also got their phone number in case I need to call them.

Oh yea, is it common for the thermostat to be a different brand than the furnace, or are they usually the same brand?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Dano,

Depends on whether it is the original t-stat installed at time of furnace install and also on the installer.

Sometimes you get the same brand and sometimes you won't.

Thanks,
Robert