intertherm wiring problem solved

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

homebuff

:D been awhile since i've been on here. love the new setup here. just wanted to let you know robert that i solved the problem w/ the thermostat issue. my friend came out the other day & checked it out & found the transformer on the goodman unit outside burn out. he was kind of concerned though why it had one on it since it has one on the inside unit. he came out awhile back & had to install a new & heavy duty capacitor cause the other one was too small. i installed a hunter non programable digital thermostat & replaced the transformer & all working good. it even cools better now since i replaced the a-coil. alot cooler & blows out better & also drains good. i'm waiting to see what my electric bill is going to turn out to be. should be lower now. my intertherm model is MGH-055ABWN-06. again thanks for all your support. you've been quite helpful. have a great summer, i know we will. :)
Robert

Hi,

That's great, glad you got it going so you and the wife can keep cool this summer.

The transformer in the furnace is most likely a heat only transformer.

For that you would need another one for a/c side either inside furnace in a a/c control box or outside in condenser.

You can install a 30 to 40 VA transformer, depending on a/c and it support both heating and cooling, but it takes some rewireing.

That was a major flaw in your system as it was not wired correctly and very confusing for all including you.

An a/c control box and one transformer solves all that but is $100+.

Thanks for update.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

thanks! Robert for getting back w/ me. i already installed a new 24V transformer on the outside unit. i thought the same thing about the inside one being a heater transformer. i just hope the new larger capacitor lasts as long. i'm plannng on getting another new capacitor for the blower unit also. the one in there is a used one my landlord gave me along while back when it burn't out. man i can't get over how well it blows the air out the registers since the replacement of the a-coil. i feel my electric bill will drop considerably. one last question though. the instructions on the hunter nonprogrammable thermostat says theres 3 settings for compressor cycle short, reg. & long cycle. the defauilt is reg. is that where i need to leave it? it has something to do w/ how long the compressor will cycle at my command.
Robert

Leave it set at Regular.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

thanks Robert. have a nice evening. not too familiar with the setting so i'll leave well enough alone.