Heat pump click

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

MATT

Hi,

I have a similar problem to "spdrcr".

I have a Goodman heat pump model cpke36-18, Coleman evcon eb20b and a Honeywell t-stat.

I began having some problems with the fan in the furnace running continuously. I change the fan relay, transformer, run capacitor and sequencer. This seemed to help some but not totally. Today I replaced the t-stat. When I run the system on emer. heat it seems to function fine.

The heat pump hums when I am close to it and when it is called for use it clicks. I ran the tests that you described for "spdrcr" and seems to fit what you described as fine for the contactor.

I was wondering if the problem could be with the capacitor for the heat pump unit?

I am very impressed with your service and turn around time for parts delivery. Thanks for your help in advance.

Matt
Robert

Hi Matt,

First you need to know what is humming and what is clicking.

Heat Pumps are a different breed and hard for a lot of techs to work on.

They are very easy to destroy if not knowledgeable in how they operate and are set up.

See if you can determine location of hum and clicking.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
MATT

Robert,

The hum is coming from the contactor.

The noise I described as the clicking is about a 2 second buzz from down inside the heat pump unit itself. Below the fan unit it is the largest part (possibly the compressor?). It sounds as though it wants to fire up but just can't.

Thanks again for you help,

Matt
Robert

Test at contactor end going to compressor and see if the compressor is getting full 240VAC from contactor.

If so, time to call a Tech out to troubleshoot compressor not starting.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
MATT

Robert,

I tested that a few days ago and came up with a full 240vac. I was afraid this was what you might tell me.

Thanks again for your great service!

Matt
Robert

Hi Matt,

You're very welcome. Compressors get condemned often without being bad, so really is time to get a qualified Tech from this point.

May be something that can be done, maybe not, but due to cost of compressor or new unit, best to let a Tech diagnose it.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert