Efficeint MH furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Latertrader

what type of furnace is most efficient for a mobile?
Any answers would be helpful.

Also, when did they start putting better insulation into mobile homes. Any answers on this would be appreciated.
Yanita

Hi,

I am going to separate this post from the rest and move it into HVAC. Our tech Robert can best advise on furnace replacements.

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

For best efficiency, the newest available. Then do a check and research heat source prices for your area.

That will give a feel for best type of fuel source.

Then it's a matter of what style unit you want.

Then find the reputable and competant company to do install and listen to their advise.

They will know best on units they sell. May be what is needed.

Alot plays into this and it is something that requires an onsite inspection of home.

As for insulation, can't say for sure on an exact date.

All homes are improved on each year as they are manufactured and in the latter years, you could also choose on new homes if you wanted good, better or best.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
oldfart

Sir, the most efficient furnace is, hands down, an electric forced hot air furnace. They are 100% effecient, require no chimney nor flue. No heat is wasted or lost. But..are they the most affordable? Depends on the cost of electricity in your area. Gas..(propane or natural gas) furnaces can be 99% efficient. But the cost of propane in my area is about $4per gal. from Agway. And I look for the prices on both propane and nat. gas to skyrocket in short order. The cost of electricity is about to take a huge jump as well so be prepared. Most fuel oil/kerosene fired hot air furnaces run about 80% efficient at best. My 35yr. old Miller kerosene fired furnace is that efficient. For every 100gal. of K-1 that I burn, I send 20gal up the chimney/flue in lost heating b.t.u.'s that doesn't do squat. But K-1 (kerosene) is somewhat cheaper. There is the option of baseboard electric heat of course. The drawback is it is "resistance-heat" and can cost a bundle to run. On the upside you can control the heat requirements in each room and turn off heat not required in unused areas. Hmmm? Some folks may tout the low cost of wood burning furnaces...I do not. Figger in your labor cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling wood in..ashes out and the required saws, truck, wood-hauling trailer and such..then factor in you're a slave to the wood-burner and cain't leave home for more than a few hours. Doesn't seem so efficient now does it? And many insurance companies won't insure a stick-built home with a wood-burner let alone a "mobile home" with one. Solar heating is an option..when the sun shines. Geo-thermal as well. Many options my friend. Check them all out carefully and procede with caution. JMHT. Audie..the Oldfart..