intertherm furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jonafer

Hello. The furnace is electric and heats up and cools down in order. I smelled a burning coming from the blower. Laid my hand on it and it was really hot. How hot should the blower be? Blower runs without any probs. But what could the smell be?
Greg

Hi, The motor should not get so hot that you can not lay your hand on it. Since we have a holiday coming try I cleaning it with a vacuum cleaner, get as much dust out of it as you can. If you have an air compressor and can blow it out that is better still. clean both the blower wheel and the motor cooling holes. if it has oil tubes by the ends of the shaft I would also add a little oil.
This may or may not help, but it can not hurt, plus if you can get through the hollidays with out having to call a furnace repairman all the better.
The smell could be dust & dirt getting hot or the motor it's self overheating. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jonafer

Yes, I tried cleaning the motor. It was a fuse getting hot and smelling funny. All better now, thank's happy holiday's