Newbie with furnace ?

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Dave07

1997 Clayton with a Bryant all contained inside heat and air,Last year the fan motor locked up and we had a new one installed,everything is fine now except that there will be water in the floor in front of the unit,right bleow where the filter is located,I was thinking since we had such a hot summer it was condensation,but now that it is cool outside and the heat is on I still awake to a puddle every morning,I am thinking this is either frost melting from the roof or heavy dew,I checked the drain pipe underneath and it is free from clogs,also we finally got rain last week and I noticed I had water in my ducts,I vacumm it out and it seems to be okay,the actual unit inside is dry as can be with no obvious leaks,but I can see around the bottom a bit of wettness and rust starting to form,it also looks like my insulation is holding a bit of water underneath the home.Help Please
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site. I am going to move this to the HVAC (Heating Venting & AC forums). Please follow me there. Once there you will need to read the posting tips and answer the required questions for a tech to be able to help you quickly.

Thanks,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Robert

Are you saying this a self-contained a/c and furnace unit with all components outside home in one unit ?

Just want to clarify, your wording is a bit confusing, so want to make sure we're on same page here.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Dave07

Hi,This is all inside the home,located between the kitchen and master bedroom, manufacture is Bryant,I found the numbers MHIAJ036A,and they are the same for both heat and cool,I thought I had found the problem around the vent on the roof,seemed it could use a coat of sealer which I applied ,I still got water in the floor this morning,but not as much,but then again the frost wasn;t as heavy this morning,It only seems to happening once a day, early in the morning when the dew is running off,or like last week when it poured rain,the ducts had water in them only in the kitchen and master bdrm,I vacummed it out and it hasnt returned,but then again it hasnt rained,I can wipe the water out of the floor and it will stay dry all day till next morning, After reading other post I also am concerned that maybe the drain pan is leaking,Is this something that can be checked,replaced relatively easily? Thanks in Advance
Dave07

I went underneath and disconnected the drain line and stuck a coat hanger in there trying to free any debris that may have had the line clogged,I got nothing out that would clogged,I was considering back flushing with a garden hose also,but I am still leaning toward the posssibility of the vent on the roof leaking,although it seems to be dry(( in the closet) where the furnace is located,any advice would be greatly appreciated!! !!! Thanks Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

Oh no, do not back flush the drain line. If you feel it's clogged, tape a wet/dry vac hose to outside end of drainline and pull it out that way.

You can get a level of water in drain pan and should be able to see if the pan is seeping underneath it.

The A-Coil must be removed and the refrigerant recovered by a certified Tech before removing the pan.

For roof leak to get water in duct, it would have to leak down through the furnace and show signs of such.

Water can travel and be very hard to locate source.

Could be combo of more than one leak.

If water gets in duct, could also get in the belly. If so, need to drain from belly and get wet insulation out and replaced.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?