A/c drip pan

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

cas1414

After 17 years, our drip pan on the Intertherm a/c has sprung a leak. (Thank goodness it was after the 100 temps!). The place I called said that most likely they don't make the drip pan for this anymore, and even if they could find one, the pan itself would cost around $200.00. I was hoping some of the experts on this forum could tell me if this sounds right. Thanks for any help.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

I am going to move this thread to the HVAC FORUMS. (Heating, Venting and Air Conditioning) All questions of this nature goes there. I will move this for you, please follow along. Please read the posting instructions in that forum, the techs are going to need more info than you have given.

While you are here, please familiarize yourself with the site. We have several different forums to look at. Lots of great info in each. Also check out the links in the task menu above.

Glad you found us!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

Hi,

Didn't give the model number of your furnace. But if your furnace is a mobile home furnace, the drip pan found at this link will most likely work fine for you: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneAC.html (first item on the right).

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
cas1414

Sorry I left out the model number. it is: FEH 015HA 04. I appreciate your help on this. The people I talked to basically said I would need to spend $5,000 on a new unit; that they usually last only 10-12 years. I'll be the first to admit I'm clueless about this stuff. For example, if the drip pan had a leak, why does it only leak when the a/c is running? Even though I can see water in the pan, it doesn't leak unless it's running. When it's off, nothing comes out. Like I said, I'm clueless and trying to learn. Thanks.
Mark
Site Admin

The pan shown in the previous post should work for your furnace, unless for some reason you have a really odd-ball a-coil installed.

The a-coil generates water (condensation) when it is running. Your leak must not be on the direct bottom of the pan. Also be sure that the hose coming out of your drain pan isn't plugged. A plugged hose will make it appear that your pan is leaking, when it may just be overflowing.

Installing a new drain pan is not a do-it-yourselfer job, as the a-coil needs to be removed. And to remove an a-coil you have to pull the freon (and put it back in when your done).

Anyway, you can tell your tech you found a new drip pan.

Mark
Yanita

Hi,

I am not a tech, but as Mark said it sounds more like the drain pan hose is plugged. If it is a plugged drain line unclogging that is much less expensive than hiring a tech to change out the pan.

If not familiar with what you need for cleaner, then do your research before you clean the coils. Some cleaners are designed to clean the condenser coils, some are designed to clean the evaporator coils and some are designed to do both. The cleaner should also be high foaming and non acid.

Might I suggest the purchase of our Repair Manual, again located in the books/parts link above. This book will show you how to properly clean and maintain your furnace yearly, thus extending the life of both the ac and furnace.

Have a great day,

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Site Admin

Hey Yanita,

Just a heads-up. We don't offer the cleaner for sale. Shipping it is considered a hazardous material, and getting set-up to ship stuff like that is too spendy (and too much paperwork). So for the time beings, we don't offer the coil cleaner for sale. Thanks for the plug tho!

Mark
Yanita

Whoops so sorry. I thought we sold the cleaner.... :oops:

Thanks for editing my post!

Could you recommend a good brand of cleaner that might be available nationwide?

Yanita
Mark
Site Admin

The hvac supply houses is the only place I've seen the cleaner. Kind of surprising that the big home improvement stores dont' carry it (at least I haven't see it yet).

Some hvac supply houses will sell to the public, other's won't.

Mark
cas1414

I appreciate everyone's help. I had the a/c guy come out, he cleaned the coils, the water is draining out of the pipe outside perfectly fine. Neither he nor my son could find any drip or leak from the drain pan. After he cleaned everything and then left, and we finished cleaning up his mess, we started it up. It took less than 10 minutes and water was all over. There was barely any in the pan.
I'm not sure where to go at this point. I just can't afford to spend another $120 for someone else to come out. Thankfully the temps are dropping this week!!
Yanita

Hi Cas1414,

If you just had a tech come out and service this and then after he left you started the unit and water ran every where, is that correct?

If so I need to ask why the tech did not start the unit and check his own work prior to leaving, and any tech that I have used never allow me or anyone to help in the repairs/service.

Another thing is a tech/repair person of ANY trade that leaves the home owner with a mess is not a professional. No trades man leaves that for the homeowner!

You need to call the company back and explain the events as they have happened...this should not cost you anymore money, as the job was not fixed.

Did you or your son go under the home to make sure the drain pipe is actually draining, not understanding how the pan could be empty from draining yet water all over the place. LOL, keep in mind though that I am not a tech. Also this drain pipe should be extended to reach outside the home.

Anyways, Robert will be back to business tomorrow. Hopefully he will get to this thread, he will be backed up to say the least, his own business, the company business and then this forum! Hold tight and he will give his advice and opinions.

Also I remember the name of the supply store that he once told me to use, I believe it is a national chain although that maybe in correct info...anyways its CC Dickson. They sell the cleaner that I described in a previous post

Do not despair we will help were we can.

Yanita
cas1414

I did call the company back after my last post--I was mad that my son had to clean the stuff out of the drain pan that he cleaned off, etc. Plus he left a cigarette butt on my sidewalk. They sent the service manager out. I told him that it was my son that had to clean up the drain pan and the mess his guy made and that I didn't appreciate him leaving his cig butt on my sidewalk. Plus the fact the guy still didn't have a clue what was wrong. It took the service mgr 5 mins to see a crack in the drain pan plus some bad rusting, all of which was causing the problem. He said considering it was 17 years old, we were lucky we didn't have a problem before. Get this, the first guy also left the brush he used on my porch railing. In the end, nothing got fixed, but I at least know what the problem is. And, they are going to tear my check up. He said the first guy should have seen it in less than 10 mins. I guess it does pay to complain!!

Not sure if the first guy has a job anymore.
Yanita

Hi again,

Well I am glad that you called and complain! And they certainly need to tear up your check.

As I said, Robert will be available soon and between him and Mark they will make sure you get the right parts.

Take care.

Yanita
Robert

The drip pan Mark linked to should work fine. Also, be sure you have a trap installed in the drainline as close to A-Coil/drip pan as possible.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?