Can you put a regular furnace in a mobile home

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

imthepcguy

I was wondering if you could install a site built home furnace in a mobile home. A neighbor is looking at replacing thiers..

80+ unit
Robert

Hi,

ONLY if it is electric and then only if you have 200Amp service and the room.

ALL Gas furnaces must be MH rated (direct vent-sealed combustion).

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
imthepcguy

why is that with these newer furnaces that are out what is the difference. If it's not MH rated what could happen,
I have seen these type inside of MH's like a Goodman unit, that's what my neighbor says too.
Robert

Hi,

I gave the reasons above. That is the code for MH units and it is illegal IF they are not MH rated.

MH's are made different and the unit must be vented and have intake air input differently.

Size dimensions are also different, as well as the ducts the air flows through.

Has to have a blower motor rated for use with MH ducts.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sigmon

Robert,
I just joined this forum and as the person that started this topic also thought I could just put a home furnace in the mobile we just bought and are remodeling. I had planned on a Lennox or Amana because of their quietness and warranty. How do I find out what brands are approved for mobile homes ( I live in CA) and, in your opinion, which will be the quietest and have the best warranty and reliability?
Thanks
Sigmon
Robert

Hi,

It will have a sticker stating Manufactured Housing approved.

Due to fact we sell parts for and work on all types, we do not give personal opinions on brands.

Each is easily researched for warranties and problems associated.

The most important factor is the installer and he/she should be able to answer all concerns.

The most common for MH's are Coleman, Nordyne (Intertherm, Miller)and Goodman.

Robert
Last edited by Robert on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sigmon

Thank you
Sigmon
Robert

Hi Sigmon,

You're very welcome.

Robert
Jeneen

Speaking of heat and A/C I live in MO, and have noticed that the unit comes on and off alot. I looked at the furnace and blower, "the flame" comes on when the furnace kicks on, and when it kicks off it goes out. Sometimes it runs like every 30 sec. on off, on off. Drives me crazy. We have since put in a electronic thermostat and it set to turn on at one temp at nite, and another durning the day. Is this common in mobile homes? This one is a Victoria Double wide if that helps?
I don't want someone who walks behind
Nor someone who walks behind me
I have someone who will walk beside me!
Robert

Hi,

Please start a new thread with your questions.

Keeps down confusion and this thread already has two different posters.

Thanks,
Robert