Ideas for A Low Bugdet Furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lpaigeg268

Hi, I am in a 70 x 14 wide mobile home built in 1980. I am using a kerosene furnace that is probably the original that came with the home. That would make it close to 40 years old! It is forced hot air, meaning the heat is blown through ductwork that runs under the floor. It stopped working some time this afternoon, and this is the third (maybe fourth) time this winter it has gone out.

I'm thinking it's time for a new furnace. I'd like to switch to propane. However I am on a low budget, and not sure what the best option would be. I've looked in my local craigslist and there are a couple of Miller Propane Vented Wall units for sale but those don't heat through the ductwork. Wouldn't that leave the floor awfully cold?

New propane furnaces at Home Depot are running $2000, not including installation. I'm hoping for half that price, including installation.

Any and all ideas and input gratefully accepted. TIA

Laurie
suzy_dickson

Hi, Laurie!

Our propane wall heater has six bricks. The home has 6" studding and full insulation walls and roof. The heater will easily handle rooms here totaling about 1500 sf with an outside temp of 15 degrees F. and interior at 72 - 74, and with a couple stove top burners pressed into service we are good for as low as it gets here with no electricity.

If you go the large tank route, check with the local provider about a couple of things.
Many offer lower rates if you buy in summer...so you may want, if possible to get it now.
Some providers (but fewer and fewer) guarantee summer prices (when cost is usually lower) in the winter if you contract with them now and then you pay for it when it is delivered.

You usually have the option of buying your own tank or having the provider supply one. Some charge basically a monthly rental for the tank, some don't. Be sure to ask.
Commodore house owner
lpaigeg268

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for your response. What is the make of your wall unit?

Laurie