1988 Intertherm heatright propane furnace "rain cap"

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

loveoldtrux

Hello Gang,

Back again after a lot of major events in life!! Still in the same HOME that I purchased 26 years ago - just 2 1/2 years to go and it's paid off!! <yipppeeee>

It'll be paid off with a sagging floor that I'll need to repair after fixing the leak (most important); I know how to fix the floor part.

Near as I can determine is the "rain cap...?" on the roof that covers the furnace flue coming out of the roof is leaking water in during heavy rain and it puddles in front of the furnace. Need to get this fixed before the furnace rusts out!! The rain cap looks pretty rusty after 26 years in Georgia humidity!

Just a few questions -
1) Do I HAVE to buy a rain cap from Intertherm (if still available), or can I get a generic "one size fits all" from somewhere else (Home Depot?...); possibly online from YOUR favorite vendor?
2) I've built many homes and modified this home with a standard door in the front in replacement of the skinny original 32" door. With those "skills" would I be able to replace this rain cap by myself? Sort of in a financial bind since my wife left me and I had to choose to go bankrupt or lose my home, so I can't hire a contractor to do it while I'm at work...
3) During the replacement, anything special I need to be wary of so I won't introduce ANOTHER problem (besides falling off the roof?...)?

Thanks for the read - I'll need to post some of the detailed pix of the front door project someday....

Merry Christmas,
Mark
Greg

Mark, I don't think there is anything Intertherm specific about the rain cap, I would think is one of those "If it fits, it works" cases. I WOULD look close at the roof jack, I question how the rain is getting through.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
loveoldtrux

Thanks for the reply, Greg; by roof jack you're talking about the roofing under the cap? I guess the cap unscrews.... just remove on a sunny day and cart off to Home Depot for a fit with a new replacement.

Thanks ---- Mark
Greg

The Jack is the part that goes through the roof with the plate for support. you may need to caulk it as long as you are up there.

these are what Mark has avalable.

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneChimneys.php

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
loveoldtrux

Excellent Greg - thanks for the link and roof jack info!!

Merry Christmas,
Mark