Lear-Siegler AGC-80 Type B standing pilot Propane burner.

Questions about repairs and parts for other brands of furnaces and air conditioners. Please note that our speciality is Coleman and Nordyne products, so our knowledge of other brands may be limited.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

justplumducky

Lear-Siegler AGC-80 Type B standing pilot Propane burner.

The pilot light access hole is fairly close to the bottom of the furnace. On the left side of the cabinet also near the bottom, is a lever to turn something inside the box. Damper?

Anyone know what this is (the lever - its function, etc.) and how to set it up for lighting the pilot?

Have had no luck so far in searching for any info for this unit. Parts diagram, manual, whatever. Grateful for any suggestions.
DaleM

Post a pic if you can. Thinking back, if it's the one I remember, that lever is a spark generator. Pushing down and lifting up on it you should hear a clicking sound. If no click, it is not working any more.

That is an ooollld furnace.
justplumducky

Thanks Dale...

Tried to get in touch with this homeowner, but haven't heard back from him yet. Will get a pic soon as I can or look into the pilot access hole while moving that lever.

When I was at this home last, it was summer time and we were working on his cooling system (package unit) and after finishing up, we were both in a bit of a hurry to leave the premises. I actually was getting ready to attempt using my inspection mirror and flashlight to look in the pilot hole, but the mirror was too big and at that point I just gave up.

Should have just looked in with my flashlight and moved the lever, but homeowner came up and started talking to me, at which point I decided to let it go and do some googling for that furnace. Big mistake. Still haven't found anything on it and the tech who told me he would go check it out (recently) never showed up. Since then, I can't get homeowner to call me back. Not sure that he's refusing to call me back because he's annoyed with me, but can't blame him if he is - I dropped the ball...

If I can ever get in touch with him again, I'll get back to you. I do have another question for you, but will start a new topic for it.
DaleM

Looking in with a light will not help you much in this case. The spark is out of the way and so small the light will only obscure it. There really is no way to see the little spark the lever actually creates. Those things usually quit working within a few years anyway.
justplumducky

So, if that's the case here, the pilot could be lit like other typical standing pilots? Depressing a control knob or lever in the Pilot position while inserting a "match-stick" flame at the pilot burner outlet? Standard thermocouple on this unit also?
DaleM

Yes standard set up with a thermocouple. BUT a real PITA to light.
justplumducky

Ok Dale, thx much for your help. (We talked on the phone once...been a while). Been reading a lot of your posts recently. Looks like you been at this for a while :O Have a good weekend.

An after-thought... In case I have to light this one eventually. Why is it a PITA to light? Getting the lighter flame in the right spot ? Something else?
DaleM

Going from memory but the tough parts of lighting that are getting a lit match through the hole without blowing out and seeing the pilot. I could be completely wrong though, without a pic, and with all the different makes and models furnaces I have been in through the years I could have this model mistaken for another.