Nordyne Model #: C1QA-024U-B; S/N: C1Q9207-04120, Fan Blower

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Psycho-Pop

Question about this model (A/C), acting hinkey after running for approximately 10 minutes of 'normal' cooling, the blower fan stops turning, (although it is not frozen), and the compressor motor continues to run, and the unit gets hot and smells like it's burning.
The Cooling Coils are inside.
The Contactor seems to work fine when the thermostat (inside) is set to a higher temperature, effectively turning the unit off.
My question is two-fold:
1) There is a thermostat attached to the unit, (Defrost Thermostat) and an outdoor thermostat (OFT), one of these has a rheostat switch that is supposed to set the Defrost temp...? What effect do these thermostat's, if any, have on the blower fan?
2) Given that everything is seemingly OK at first start, what circuit causes the Blower Fan to stop after a short period of time?

Thanks for any assistance -- a Service Manual download would be appreciated too...:-)
DaleM

I want to be on the same page as you, first we have to get straight on blower and fan. The fan is on the outside unit and moves air through that unit. The blower is inside the furnace and will move the air in the home. Which motor quits? The fan outside or the blower inside?
Psycho-Pop

Sorry for the mix up; the fan is the outside fan and sits atop the unit for exhausting of the hot air from the compressor.

Hope this helps.
DaleM

The motor is bad. You could test the capacitor to see if that is causing the motor to overheat and go out on thermal overload but just about 99% of the time it's a bad winding in the motor that cuases what you have going on there. The smell is the motor overheating/burning up. Normally when the capacitor is bad the motor labors to start and makes ALOT of noise or it doesn't run at all. Replace the motor and cap and all will be fine.
Psycho-Pop

Thanks Dale -- Do you know the nomenclature/part number (or generic) for this type of fan motor?

And to make sure I'm hearing correctly; this is the exhaust fan, NOT the condenser fan - right?

Thanks
Psycho-Pop

Just following up on the question: Is that the exhaust fan motor and not the compressor motor?

Do you have any part numbers? I've looked in numerous places, but cannot find anything on the part number or pricing.

Thanks
DaleM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Been on vaca then super busy once back in town. That is the condenser fan motor. No part number but you can pull the motor and take it to most heat/cooling supply houses and they can set you up with the correct replacement.