Variable speed blower retro-fit

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

len

Is it possible to retrofit a variable speed blower to my existing gas furnace? I have a Nordyne model M1BA066ABW unit. In searching for replacements I came across a kit produced by Nordyne call a "ISEER Variable Speed High Efficiency Blower Kit". I was wondering if anyone knew about this kit. The tech sheet is identified as 758C-0608 and can be found by searching the internet using this number.
My goal in making this change is to reduce the blower noise and make the furnace more efficient.
DaleM

len, just looking at the numbers there for the different furnaces that blower kit can be used in I don't see the M1 furnaces anyplace. That looks like something for Nordyne's line of residential equipment. I'm very familiar with the M1 furnace and have never heard of that blower before. The M1 board is not set up to adjust blower speed on a single winding. Sure it will change from a heating speed to a cooling speed but those are 2 different windings in the motor.
len

Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any variable speed blower available for the M1 furnace? Or are you stuck with single speed blowers for this model ?
DaleM

There are multi-speed motors available but you really don't need it. If you were to go to an air conditioner that is larger than what your current blower motor is rated then you would need the larger blower package. I am pretty sure you can handle up to 3 tons of air conditioning capacity with the current set up. Slowing the blower down will cause the furnace to run hotter than it is built for and could shorten the life of the heat exchanger. You can and will burn holes through it.
len

Thanks Dale, your advice is well taken and I thank you.

Len