Need help identifying 1990 Nordyne central A/C

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

rr72

Hi everyone. I have quite an old (22 years) Nordyne central A/C unit I could use some help identifying. The label is completely sunfaded, but I rubbed some graphite over it and was able to make out most but not all of it.

Model #: ASCD-030BB-01
Serial #: ASC9006-00597
Factory Charged R-22 41 OZ.
The plastic piece on top of the fan grille reads "High Efficiency".

Can anyone give a guess as to the tons/BTUs/SEER rating of this unit? Or have any other information about this particular unit/generation?
1989 Detroiter 14x48
DaleM

That's a 2.5 ton air conditioner. Most likely an 8 SEER possibly a 10. It's OLD. It's useful "efficient" lifespan is over. Newer scroll type units the same size are pulling 1/2 to 1/3 the power of that unit. If you can afford to replace it, do so.
1987Commodore

I have a similar unit, and all I can say is that in 25 years, I have spent exactly $0.00 on repairs.
A new unit would be more energy efficient, but this unit only raises my electric bill by about $40 a month during the summer, so there's an awful long time required to recoup the cost of a new unit by using the energy savings. As long as it keeps working faithfully, it's staying.
rr72

Thanks for the responses. I don't intend to replace it anytime soon, but wanted to be prepared for the inevitable. The unit is still performing well, even though it's oversized for the house (~650sf) -- temp difference is close to 20 degrees between supply and return. I do have to wonder if a single window A/C would cool our small house adequately while reducing our electric bill.
1989 Detroiter 14x48