Nordyne M1MB increase fan speed?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

danomac

I have a Nordyne M1MB 077a (A/C ready, up to 3 ton.)

While I don't have central A/C yet, I do have a couple small window A/C units.

I thought maybe I should run the furnace fan to circulate it through the house, and what do you know, it does make a very noticable difference. I had to hook up the green wire to the thermostat and now I can turn it on and off.

Is it possible to increase the fan speed? I think it's running on low or medium-low speed. I do have the manual but it's not explicitly clear on what to hook it up to. I see the black wire is the high speed wire for the fan, but it is tied off and dangling in the furnace. The blue and orange wires are actually hooked up to the circuit board.

The only thing I don't know is which speed the green wire toggles. Is it as simple as unplugging the blue or orange wires and replacing it with the black wire?
cnyguy

Hello danomac:
I also checked into varying fan speed for my M1MC090BW. The house came with a 4 ton ready coil cabinet. The outside unit is a 3 ton Miller with a matching A coil inside with a "flowrater" orifice setup. You cannot get this metering device with a modern refrigerant, it has to come with a TXV one. This all has to do with SEER rating, which typically is better than than the one I have. I read the Interthem material which recommended a certain indoor fan speed for the particular setup I have, and I set it that way. Yes, it's a matter of hooking up the designated wire for corresponding speed. However, from my experience even with window shakers, install "reversible" ceiling fans wherever possible, they work awesome with cooling (and heating) They seem to help keep the temperature "even". It's a little trick to install them properly, don't bolt them up to a plastic box! They have to be mounted in the ceiling securely, sometimes with a crossbar fixture you have to shove up in the fixture hole.
DaleM

Look on that M1 circuit board and you will see 2 terminals labeled HEAT and COOL. Those are where the blower leads get their power. Put the black lead on COOL. That is the terminal triggered by the green (fan) circuit from the Tstat. The higher speed of the 2 wires, blue and orange, should be put on the HEAT terminal. Tie off the unused one.