Nordyne Furnace Wigging Out

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

erixon

Hey guys, so lately my furnace has been doing some strange things, it still works okay, hold temp fine but a few times a day it sounds like a relay clicking. you can hear the furnace kick on like its going to start up, then this relay clicking noise starts up and the furnace goes on and off. I don't know a whole lot about furnaces, but fairly mechanically inclined. When I turn the heat up, the furnace starts and ignites and runs no problem. most of the day it's fine its just the odd time it does this. Any ideas?
dgmadole

My Nordyne is giving me the same problems you're having. Any idea what the issue might be yet?

Dan
erixon

Not really. It stopped for a while, after I took the cover off the furnace and checked connections. Now its started again. I don't know what to make of it. I might try and get a video of it making the noise.
Mobile68

I had the same relay click/no start issue with my Nordyne.

Lightly tapping anywhere on the board would cause the furnace to start, but I couldn't determine what relay wasn't able to close, or if the relay problem was actually a power problem on the board. The board wasn't expensive (around$120.00...some are $600.00!!), so I replaced it and all is well.
Last edited by Mobile68 on Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erixon

I replaced the thermostat so we'll see where that takes us, and go from there. I think it might be the board as well. Makes a high pitched buzz for a while right after that relay sounds stops clicking away.
erixon

I replaced the thermostat with a regular Honeywell, non-digital. It was running perfect for a while, but when it gets really cold outside, it starts doing the clicky relay noise with the high-pitched buzz. It seems to do it more when you go onto higher temperatures, when you keep it sitting around 21*C it's alright for the most part, higher than that it ends up going crazy.
Mobile68

The thermostat is just a temperature sensitive switch. It shouldn't have anything to do with your issue.