So while I was out of town for a week for work. My gf calls me to tell me she smelled a burning smell through the whole house instantly. We figured out it was the AC because it would not come back on. After getting home, I took the door off and this is what I discovered:
This is a 4 speed, 4 ton, 2.9FLA, 1/3HP unit. I have not removed any wires from anything in this picture, just moved them around to get a better look. I see the part to the left of the transformer is what shorted out, but I dont know exactly what that part is called or the part number; except that is label as IFM and IFR on the wiring diagrams. Also, could this be the sole part that went out? What are my chances something else caused that to short out? As in if I replace that, would it do it again, because the source of the problem was caused from something else besides that part. There is a little melting damage to the some of the wires, but i can easily fix it with some heat shrink tubing and new connectors. Any info is appreciated.
Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
I figured out it's the cooling fan control. I have a feeling it's not the relay that burnt up but either the blower or contractor that is the actual culprit. So I thought I would see if it did the same thing to the heating relay but once I hooked everything back up and turned on the circuit breakers and turned the t-stat on heat, nothing happened. I eeven felt to see if the element got hot and it didn't. No clicking of any relays or contractor. So I am stuck.
After a fire all the components should be checked and any burns wire ends replaced. Here's a list of parts that should be checked or replaced: 621898 relay, 621899 relay, 621814 transformer, 621958 contactor. You also want to be sure the elements aren't damaged. Furnace grade high-heat wire ends can be found here: http://www.aberdeenhomerepair.com/store ... Connectors
You can't fail if you don't try!
I should had gave you more cross reference to the parts you know. 621898 is the one that is burnt up. And more precisely, the connector with the wire that goes to the blower is the one that burnt up. Everything else physically looks good. The blower fan turns smoothly and freely also. I bought the service manual from ya for my model which helped me understand it some more, but since I dont work in this industry, I dont get the full benefits of it.