Intertherm / Nordyne elements cylces on

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Doyle318

I have a Intertherm / Nordyne FEH-020HA-04. I noticed that the heating elements are cycling on when the a/c is running. After a few checks I found that unless I throw the circuit breaker the element cycles even when unit is not running. I keep some parts here at home and changed the thermostat to no avail. I disconnected the wires from the thermostat at the unit end of wiring and still same problem.I changed sequensor and disconnected to blower switch at unit and same problem. I removed wires from transformer near the elements and still same problem. I now have just left the breaker thrown for the heat section so I can run a/c. I would appreciate any help you could give me on this. Thanks in advance for your reply.
Doyle
Doyle318

Just to help thise who may have experienced this problem. This unit has two heating elements stacked on top of each other. The lower unit had a insulator that had failed and allowed the wire from the element to touch the other element. This caused some weird reading when checking the current and the element would cycle on until it was taken out by the limit switches. I replaced the elements and the problem went away and unit works fine now. I have seen several posts about problem but no real answers that helped me and thought I would pass this on. You have to remove the blower to see the elements and check to be sure they are not contacting each other. They may be working but if they are touching each other this will cause some weird readings and problems.

And a special thank you to the ebay seller (therawhyde00) whom I have purchased intertherm / nordyne parts for this furnace that put me on the right trail to find this.
pauldf1979

OMG!! I feel like a fool. Hurricane Isaac knocked the power out for about 52 hrs, and when it was back on the ac would blow hot air, and the fan would not turn off. Figured out the AC/Heat were running simultaneously(after I went all over town looking for a temp window unit--SOLD OUT everywhere). Was so angry about it being 100 inside when it was only 80 outside, that I didn't question why the AC had two breakers. Did a google search on how to disable the heat, and your post was the first result. Flipped off one of the breakers and cold air started flowing. You just save my town from the rampage of a fat man, congrats.