Nordyne E2EH 017HA AC coil freezing up

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

fgadd

Ever since we purchased our mobile home four years ago, we have had icing problems with our AC evaporator coil. A couple a summers ago I had a friend who is licensed to service AC check my refrigerant pressure with his gauges, and they turned out to be fine. Today I finally called a local service center. The technician was very friendly and helpful, but thought that the problem was that the outdoor unit was too large for the system, and the blower could not maintain sufficient airflow to keep up with the system.

The outdoor unit is a Lennox HS29-024-1P, which the technician I spoke to identified as a 2 ton unit. He suggested the 1.5 ton unit would be more appropriate. The furnace/AC unit is a Nordyne E2H 017HA, with a 2 speed blower, part # 903074. It is set to run on its high speed setting.

The coils are clean, I've just blown out the blower assembly, so it's clean. The unit ices up even when the air filter is removed, so that doesn't seem to be the bottleneck.

Might a blower with a higher speed be a solution to my problem?
Bill

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problem. Lets see if i can help you out. First off is to figure out if you need 2 tons or 1.5 tons of cooling. I am going to side with the tech that you had out and say you only need 1.5 tons of cooling. Now let me tell you why. If you put a bigger blower on the furnace this might stop the icing up problem but it might also short cycle your system. That is where your you get it cool in the house to fast and you have not taking enough humidity out of the house. Also you don't get the ambient temperature of the house down just the air in the house. So your air will run more than it needs to. Plus putting the bigger blower on will effect the heating in the winter.
Something else that needs to be looked at is the size of the coil in the furnace what size is it for a 2 ton or a 1.5 ton. So if the a/c has the right amount of refrigerant in it like the tech said. I would have to lean toward put on a new a/c to fix the problem.
I hope this helps
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.