Blower runs real slow

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

AllenS

Nordyne - FEHA-023ha-01
Condenser, Colman Evcon - BRQ042C

I cleaned my A-coils out yesterday using the foam cleaner. I then turned on the unit and it ran good for approx 20 mins, (had a good flow of cold air coming out the vents). Then the air flow just stopped for the most part. I looked out side and the condenser was not running, and i pulled the panel off the inside unit and the blower was turning but no where near to what it is supposed to. I turn everything off and checked the fuses, all 4 of them, they test good. So I figure I would look at it tomorrow. Today when I got home I turn the the unit on (cool, auto) the condenser kicks on but the inside blower is still not blowing out the air it supposed to. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do have a meter and I am not afraid to use it. :D

Getting Warm in TN
Bill

Hi, Allen
It sounds to me like the blower is not working right. Here is how to check it
Turn off the power to the furnace at the circuit-breaker box. Remove the blower cover panel from the furnace housing by removing the screws and lifting the panel out.
Locate the blower fan wheel and attempt to spin it by hand. It should spin freely with almost no effort. There are ports located close to the motor and blower fan. Add a few drops of oil to the ports and if the blower still does not move freely, then replace the blower motor.
If the blower fan does move freely, feel the motor to see if it is hot. If so, allow the motor to cool and inspect the wire connections to make sure they are secure and unbroken.
Inspect the capacitor that is located beside the blower--it is a square box with two wires attached to it. If the capacitor is bulging or has oil leaking from it, then the capacitor needs to be replaced.
Remove the wires from the capacitor by using needle-nose pliers and pulling the wire leads off of the capacitor terminals. Set a volt-ohm meter to the voltage setting and touch one probe to each of the terminals on the capacitor. You should see a reading of zero that goes to the maximum capacity rating printed on the capacitor. If it does not, replace the capacitor.
Turn the power back on to the furnace if the capacitor was replaced. Set the thermostat so that the furnace will turn on. If the motor still does not operate, replace the motor.
I hope this helps
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
AllenS

Bill,
First let me thank you for your help. It looks like its the motor. I replaced the capacitor, oiled and cleaned the motor and squirrel cage, checked all connections and checked to see if motor can spin freely and there was no play in the shaft. I checked for voltage on each leg and all was fine. I'm guessing maybe the windings for high speed went out or something. This was a real learning experiance for me. Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know how things go after I install the new motor on Sat.

Thanks
Allen