10-2 or 10-3 Wire for AC

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kailor

Installing an Intertherm AC-only package unit. The label on the unit says "MCA = 30A". Should I use 10-2 or 10-3 wire from circuit panel?
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
Bill

Hi,
A 10-2 wire should be fine. Just hook up the two hot leads and the ground.
Thanks,
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
Greg

2 HOT leads??? If it is a 110v you have a hot a neutral and a ground. On a 220v you have 2 hot a neutral and a ground. The ground and neutral ARE NOT the same thing.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Rod

1.This is electrical if you are not sure sure hire a professional.
2. I thought this topic was taboo on this forum?

Bill is correct, on a Nordyne (Intertherm, Miller & Broan) they are 220 wired with 2 hots and a ground. No neutral. The 2 hots are also known as L1 & L2.

Neutrals are "typically" not used on a 220 system for items such as central air and water heaters. They are however used on most newer electric stoves. The installation manual should always be read (AND UNDERSTOOD) to insure proper wiring and safety.

You need to make sure you install a disconnect box outside. This is to comply with code and also makes servicing the unit easier should power need to be turned off.

It is my advice if you are not 100% of how to do this then hire an electrician.

Good Luck
Rod
kailor

Thanks for the post Rod. I'm currently in the process of getting quotes from licensed professionals. In an attempt to save money, I want to install breaker (I've done this before) and run the wire to location of unit. I've already installed the return air grill and duct-end-piece and the damper. I would let the licensed professional wire the breaker in the panel, the outside disconnect and the unit itself. The MAC label on the actual unit specifies 30A; thus, a 10 ga. wire is necessary along with a 2-pole 30A Siemens circuit breaker. I just didn't know if I need to purchase and run a 10-2 or a 10-3 wire.
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
kailor

Answer: 10-2 with ground (orange-sheathed romex)
Quite expensive I might add!
Thanks!
Two 14x66's
pravin

I'm wondering why you chose 10/2 wire for three lights and a plug? This is overkill, unless the plug is to run a big motor, battery charger, etc.

UA Dating