Heating Elements phase/call on Gibson furnace

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

GIBSON2011

Hi,

Working with Gibson(made by Nordyne) electric furnace and air handler.
Model GB3BM-042K-B air handler.
H4HK0204-22 heating element kit
10 Seer condensing unit outside and R22

Question:
Would it be possible for me to adjust or rewire how the heating elements are used on this electric furnace. For example it has two heating elements, both are 9.8 kwh rated(basically 10 kw strips), thus I was curious if there was some way in which I could only call for or only operate one of the 10 kw heat strips and not even hook up or wire up the other second 10 Kw heat strip? How hard would this be or possible at all or pros and cons of it and would it hurt furnace.

I had the idea when I was looking at the heat sequencer on the furnace where the wires from harness go to the M1, M2, M3 and M4, don't a combination of these control when the second element would kick on? I was thinking if I just simply unhooked those wires or connections that control 2nd electric heat strip, I would be able to just run 10 KW of heat instead of 20 KW and cut the electric bill in half and still have plenty of heat.

20 KW is rather excessive and too much, when I had the guy that installed this furnace for me about 10 yrs ago, I had no clue what was going on, and now I wish I had for I would have told him nothing more than a 10 KW or 15 Kw heat strip, actually prefer 10 Kw it is more then enough to heat home where I live just fine. Anyway just curious if this is possible to do or what you would recommend if this is possible.
Bill

Hi,
Turning off the second heat strip might not be the best option for you. A couple of things to think about. If you don"t have the the second heat strip will your thermostat ever satisfy? Also it might take twice as long or even longer to satisfy your thermostat. If either one of these happen you most likely will not save any money. Possibly even cost more to run your furnace since it will have to work longer to satisfy your thermostat.

Thank you,
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.
GIBSON2011

Hi,

Would still like to know if I can do what I asked in original question/post? If it is unable to satisfy thermostat setting I can always change it back later. But still would like to know if I can do what I asked?

Thanks
Bill

Hi,
Yes it is possible to disconnect the leads that come out of the sequencer to the heat strip. Do this at the heat strip and make sure to tape up or wire nut the need so there is no bare wires. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Bill
Please remember to check and change your filters.