Intertherm MAC2254A Electrical

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sincewhen

I noticed a burning smell from the furnace, so I cut the power from the breaker (VERY aware of 240v) and removed the front panels. I was surprised to see that the main power lines had melted some of the wiring and the block had melted off the small board. I will try to attach a picture. I guess I have two questions 1: Could there be an underlying issue, or do these parts fail with age like others do. 2: What could I use for a better setup here. Thank you for your time.
Robert

Hi,

Usually due to loose and/or old wiring and/or connection points.

Best setup would be having incoming power cables/wires going straight to furnace breakers inlet side.

With only two power cables/wires, you will need a jumper bar for each side of breaker OR will need to run 2 new cables wires giving you four instead of two.

May want to have an electrician come and check the integrity of those incoming power wires for safety issues.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sincewhen

Thank you so much for the fast reply. However, I seem to be having a bad google day and can't find anything that looks like what I need (probably searching wrong). If not too much trouble could someone direct me to a good site for parts or a picture for reference. I will add a better picture of my power setup. Thanks again.
Robert

Hi,

You need to have an electrician come and check the integrity of the two incoming power cables.

Then add two more cables to give 4 or if those two are no longer good, add 4 new ones.

Then connect straight to the breakers.

OR, see if the electrician has a jumper bar for the breakers and then you can just use 2 wires.

IF those 2 are bad, replace them and if not, keep them.

You do not need the piece that is burnt and melted. It is nothing more than a terminal board to go from 2 wires to 4 old style.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
sincewhen

Will do, thanks again for taking time for my questions.
Robert

Hi,

You're very welcome, happy to help.

Thanks,
Robert