Hey everyone....

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

TheQuietRebel

This may be a bit long but I was hoping to get a little guidance regarding my Intertherm/Nordyne electric heater (model # E2EH 015HA). Normally, when heating, you would hear the thermostat click and a minute or two later the blower would kick on and the house would get warmer then the system would cycle off. Now, however, you can hear the thermostat click, the blower comes on almost immediately, and the heater starts making clicking noises every 20 seconds or so when running. You can feel the air coming out of the vents get warm, then cool, then warm, then cool, etc., until, eventually, the house gets up to temp then the system shuts itself off. It's like the heating elements are cycling on/off continuously when running and it's done this for a few days now. This morning though, I heard the system clicking but the blower wasn't coming on. I checked the unit and you could feel the heat radiating from it but the blower wasn't coming on so I turned the blower on manually via the little switch on the front of the unit (so at least my blower still works). Once running I clicked it back over to auto and, as of right now, it's still going and still clicking. I admit I'm getting a bit nervous, wondering what to do, and hoping my house doesn't burn to the ground :shock: . Like most people, money is a bit thin so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty if it's something that is relatively simple to fix. I've heard people mention "sequencers" but was wondering if anybody had any ideas if that's what is is or if it's something else. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!
strick87

sounds like you have one of two things happening. sounds like sequencer is not working properly. or also check filters, the clicking your hearing may also be limit switches tripping on and off due to lack of airflow or blower not coming on properly. run your fan on manual on. and see how it works. it is hard to determine which is happeneing without checking voltages at sequencer and at limits.
TheQuietRebel

Thanks for the response! The filters are clean so that's okay. The blower seems to work okay and the air flows freely out of the vents (is that what you mean by airflow?). If it is the sequencer, where is it and do I need a PhD to change it??? Again, thanks for any and all help!
strick87

THE SEQUENCER IS LOCATED IN A PANEL RIGHT BELOW YOUR BLOWER MOTOR. THER IS A METAL COVER THAT IF REMOVED WILL EXPOSE THE SEQUENCER ALONG WITH LIMITS AND HEATING ELEMENTS. YOU WILL ALSO SEE TWO BREAKERS BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE COVER. YOU WILL WANT TO TURN THOSE BREAKERS OFF BEFORE ROMOVING COVER TO KILL POWER TO YOUR FURNACE FOR YOUR SAFETY YOU ARE DEALING WITH HIGH VOLTAGE. YOU WILL SEE MANY WIRES GOING TO THE SEQUENCER WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PANEL. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO REPLACE IT PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHERE THE WIRES HOOK UP ON THE SEQUENCER. DONT KNOW IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT, BUT I WOULD NOT CALL IT A SIMPLE TASK . IT DOES SOUND LIKE YOUR SEQUENCER MAY BE BAD. BUT I ALSO THINK YOU MAY HAVE LIMIT TRIPPING. IN MY EXPERIENCE I HAVE NOT REALY SEEN A SEQUENCER CAUSE THE AIR TO GET WARM THEN COLD REPEATEDLY. THAT SOUNDS MORE LIKE A LIMIT TRIPPING ON AND OFF. NOT SAYING A SEQUENCER WILL NOT DO THAT BUT TYPICALLY WHEN THEY BRING AN ELEMENT ON IT STAYS ON UNLESS THE LIMIT IS TRIIPING OFF. IF YOU WANT TO SEE WHAT A SEQUENCER LOOKS LIKE TRY TO LOOK ONE UP ONLINE UNDER ELECTRIC FURNACE SEQUENCER.
Robert

Hi,

Do you still need any help with this ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jhonride

thanks to all for good information :)