M1SB 066 Running too hot?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

frontein

I've created some other posts, and gone back and forth. I thought that I fixed my problem, but I haven't. At least I now know what the REAL problem is. Here goes.

I have an M1SB 066 oil-fired, forced-air furnace. The ignitor (transformer) keeps going out. I've replaced it once, and am going to do it again tomorrow when the local HVAC store opens. The ignitor is a Becket 51771U. It has an ambient operating temperature of up to 150 deg F.

I purchased an infrared thermometer so I can keep track of how my furnace is running. Inside the chamber, it gets up to almost 1000 deg F; the outside of the firewall gets up to about 250 deg F; the outside of the ignitor gets up to about 160 deg F. I can't really measure the inside of the ignitor chamber when the furnace is running, but I am sure it is well over 150 deg F.

SO, the ignitor seems to be going out because the ambient temperature is TOO hot. But by the way the furnace is built, it seems like Nordyne built it to get this hot. The firewall is very thick, and the burner is in a very small, metallic, enclosed area.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is getting so hot? Or if there is a way to prevent it? I am going to call the local HVAC repair people tomorrow after I install the new ignitor, and see if they can come look at the operating temperature of the furnace. I don't have a lot of confidence that they will have any ideas. I live in a small, rural Alaska town off of the road system. The folks here aren't really experts.

I am also going to buy a backup ignitor. It's getting too darn cold to go without heat over a weekend anymore.