Nordyne 5ton blower going out

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jcarr492

The outside unit and inside unit are both about 10yrs old. They were installed with the mobile home when it was set up. Yesterday the blower on the furnace started making a horrific clacking/grinding/banging noise. It went on all day and everytime the a/c clicks on..it would sound like something hitting the house and would shake the floors a bit. I take it its on its last leg? Thankfully we left our window units installed when the outside unit needed repair. What are we looking at cost wise for replacing both the outside and inside units?? We were quoted 4800.00 by a local air conditioning business, but thats so expensive. I can live with the window units for a while..but we are going to need heat this winter and I'm not putting a bunch of electric heaters all over the house to keep warm.
Robert

Hi,

Go here for steps to inspect and clean the blower motor and wheel:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/hvac/ar ... lower.html

Make sure the mounting bracket or belly band has not broken or come loose.

If all good, could be a bad motor bearing or a wheel having become unbalanced or spinning off the hub.

Unless you were planing to replace both units at this time anyway, I would replace the motor or wheel or whatever is needed and save for future units replacement.

Cost on replacements varies too much from one install to next to give a estimate from here.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jcarr492

Wow...I hope we can do that. I read thru the whole thing...not sure I can do it..but I'm willing to try. Dh isn't very mechanical, I'm afraid we'll take it apart and won't get it back together correctly.
Robert

Getting the blower assembly housing out is simple. You can spin wheel by hand and inspect mounting bracket/belly band from there.

If all seems ok, may be the motor is bad. That is a little more technical, but the steps and pics cover each step thoroughly.

If not sure, maybe get some help with it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?