Condensation drip

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

dlmtn

I have a Nordyne E2EB-012HA. It's 11 years old and has had condensation dripping from the coils for the last three or four years. I have been able to get new filters and reduce the condensation somewhat.

The pan is not stopped up and the coils have been cleaned. The condensation drips from the back side of the coils onto the top of the blower and onto the floor.

Is there anything else I can try to stop the dripping? It's a long summer ahead and I'd like to get this resolved.

Thanks for any ideas.
Robert

That is usually an indication of a damaged coil or a plugged coil.

They can be cleaned and ~appear~ clean, but not be.

Sometimes, especially at 11 years old, the only solution is to replace the coil.

The fins can become damaged beyond repair and the coils can become plugged beyond cleaning.

Probably time to let a Tech inspect it before the water becomes a contributing factor in a more costly repair down below of the electrical components.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
hvac1000

Sounds like your coil is mounted above the blower. If that is true you have a suck thru system instead of the standard blow thru. That means you are sucking the air across the coil. Normally this is not recommended since the blower and heating elements are below the A/C coil and water can and will damage them.

Has the blower speed been increased? If the blower speed is to high it can draw the water right off the coils.

Are you real sure the coil is clean? They can look clean but dirt can still be in the center of the coil.

In my years of service the blower speed and the coil being dirty have been the biggest problems when it comes to water dripping off the coil.

On last question. Does the A/C work well? The reason for this question is because if the coil is starting to ice up it will also cause water to drip.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
dlmtn

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the coils are mounted atop the blower. The blower speed hasn't been changed as far as I know. I wouldn't know how to do it. The air works fine. I'm sure the coils aren't freezing.

I had a technician look at the unit and he didn't mention cleaning the coils. They've never really been cleaned as long as I've had the unit so it seems like they would need it. What is the best way to do that?

Thanks again!
Robert

Hi,

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ioner.html

After 11 years, may not be able to get thoroughly clean.

The a-coil will always sit atop the electric furnace.

A Tech could check motor speed, but probably ok. If it didn't do this all along, motor speed is not the issue.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
dlmtn

Thanks for the help.

The water has dripped to some extent for several years, maybe since the unit was new. I never noticed it until about four years ago.

Would running a dehumidifier help with the condensation?

How big of a job is it to replace the coils?
Robert

It may help some, but first be sure there isn't a problem such as dirty coil or blower speed wrong causing the problem.

You'll need a certified Tech to change out the a-coil as the refrigerant must be recovered.

The coil could be anywhere from $400 - $500 with shipping approx. plus $200 - $400 labor depending on who you get.

So, $600 - $900 average, give or take a few.

Robert