Dumb Questions

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

imblest

:oops: Sorry to be so uninformed! But I have a couple of questions about my AC that maybe you guys can answer without the model number stuff. I know it is a Miller and I'm pretty sure it wasn't installed at the factory because it's not listed on the label in the MB closet. First, where do I find the model #?
Second, we bought this home as a repo last fall, couldn't check the AC (Dumb, I know!!). :oops: We had the home moved and the AC will not come on. (We have a gas furnace.) We just Sunday had a problem with the heat coming on when the thermostat is turned off, so I'm assuming the thermostat is faulty. Could a faulty thermostat also account for the AC not coming on when turned on? I'm pretty sure we are capable of replacing the thermostat, but if there's something else wrong, we can't handle it ourselves. I know it would be best to call a repairman, but we can't afford it right now, so I'd like to try the thermostat solution first.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!
Robert

Hi,

Could be t-stat, but not what I would suspect first off.

You need to test the components and circuits to see what is and/or isn't getting power.

Parts changing trying to locate problem can/will get costly.

Usually, if nothing is coming on, there is a main line or low voltage interruption.

Furnace model number is on the front furnace facing (lower half) and outside condenser is on side of unit near control panel.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
imblest

Robert,

Thanks so much for the advice! Thought I'd let you know how things worked out :D

We changed the thermostat, and it still didn't seem to work when we turned the breaker back on. So we turned the breaker off again, and looked at the switchbox outside by the unit. It showed it was on, but my husband pulled the switch out and put it back in, and we tried one more time turning all breakers and switches back on and IT WORKED!! Nice COLD AC!! And it's supposed to be 90 here tomorrow so just in time!!

Imblest 8)
Robert

That's great. People usually replace the t-stats first, but they are actually not at fault as much as you would think.

That is why I suggested looking elsewhere first.

That breaker may be weak and may trip/open again, so may want to go ahead and replace it.

Yep, hitting upper 80's and 90 here too, I'm about to be busy, busy, busy, LOL.

Thanks for updating us.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?