Furnace kicks on and off - bad sequencer?

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

I am having a problem with my electric furnace, a Nordyne E1EB-012HA. It keeps trying to kick on and off. We replaced the thermostat, cleaned the A-coil and also replaced the fan motor. Before we cleaned the A-coil it got to where it wouldn't come on at all. We were told it was the motor by a part time furnace guy so we bought a brand new one.

Every now and than it will work just fine and the rest of the time you can hear it trying to kick itself off and it comes right back on every time. It puts out the correct amount of heat and seems to be working fine with the thermostat. We are all out of options of what could be causing this. Any ideas? Oh btw, we do not run this at all while we are sleeping just to be on the safe side.
Thanks,
Sarah
Last edited by archive on Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
archive

621696 is your sequencer number. This part controls both the fan and heater. The high limit is part number 626428. It could be one or the other but I would go with the sequencer first. Both controls are listed on the link page.

You will easily find the parts to replace once you open the unit for the repair. TURN OFF ALL ELECTRIC BEFORE YOU OPEN THE UNIT UP FOR REPAIR. I put that in upper case so you would pay attention to what I said. No one needs to get hurt during the replacement process. Now if you really cannot find the part let us know here and we can walk you thru the replacement. Replacement very easy. Just mark the wires from where they come from and replace the control. Then just put the wires back on the same location. When my son was 11 years old I let him do a similar replacement. If he could do it at his young age I am sure you will figure it out. PS when you are finished with the repair do not forget to turn the electric back on in the main panel of your home.

hvac1000
archive

Some I knew you might put that in UPPER case lol. I do understand though because I have met a few folks myself without that COMMON SENSE. But I am a 46 yr old female and I figured my way to find you for help so I must be doing something right!!!! The idiot we hired didn't know jack! We have already spend $200 on this furnace and it is doing the same thing that it was from the get go. I will sure be VERY careful. (I might let my husband handle that one lol)
Thanks so much!!! Will be in touch!!

Sara
archive

The sequencer will be on Element plate or over beside it on back control box wall.Remove controls area front panel cover to reveal it.

Turn the power OFF.

Draw a diagram like this. Top, Middle and Bottom terminals on Sequencer:

____ TOP ____

____ SILVER ____

____ MIDDLE _____

SILVER _____

___ BOTTOM ____

___ BRASS ____

Give each terminal a number 1 - 11 . Take masking tape or light colored tape or stick on markers and number the pieces 1 - 11.

Remove a wire from a numbered terminal and place the matching numbered tape on the wire.

Remove sequencer and reinstall new one. Look at number on wire and connect to matching numbered terminal.

Turn power ON.

PS: When I drew lines like the sequencer and posted, they changed when posted, so they aren't aligned exact, but you can get the idea hopefully.

Thanks,
Robert

Link: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html