Nordyne E2EB-020HA Weak Heat

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

jnoscal

Hi,

I came home one day last week and my thermostat was reading 57 degrees. The set point for the heater to kick on is at 65. The blower was running, but only cold air was coming out. I flipped off the breaker and flipped it back on about 10 minutes later and it slowly started to heat the house. I was able to get some time to look at it last weekend and though I narrowed it down to the limit switch on the bottom element. I ordered the part from you guys and installed it when it came in on this past Tuesday. It has kept the house at a steady 62 degrees, but the set point is still set to at least 65, so the blower continues to run, but room temperature air is blowing out. I've been reading some things on this forum and a lot of answers seem to revolve around a contactor, sequencer, or relay of some sort. Is this what is happening with mine, or could it be something completely different?

I would really like to get this taken care of as soon as possible due to the fact I live in NE Ohio and it is currently 5 degrees outside.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Jayson
Jay
Robert

Hi Jay,

If you have a multi-meter, turn power OFF and remove doors and control panels at bottom of furnace.

Look at the element drawer plates. You will see a ceramic piece with a spade terminal and wire attached on the far left and far right of each element coil.

Yours will have either 3 or 4 down each side.

Normally the left side wires go to the sequencer and the right side wires go to the breakers.

Note: One side will have the wire go through a limit before reaching the sequencer or breaker.

Whichever ones go to the sequencer, one by one, with power on, test each one to ground for 120vac.

They will energize in timing sequence first to last and de-energize last to first.

That will tell you if the sequencer contacts are all closing and energizing all elements.

If it is tight spacing or you are not comfortable doing that, then do not attempt it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jnoscal

Hi Robert,

I was looking some more at it last night and found a pinched gray wire connected to the thermocouple. I cut and re-spliced that in and it has allowed the house to heat up to the set point. Unfortunately, the fan is now continually running and does not shut off until I temporarily drop the set point a degree. Once room temperature drops that degree, the fan kicks on again. Is this normal in extreme cold? Or is something else wrong?

As for the meter, I have no problem measuring it out, but I will not be able to get to it until after work. Unless you feel there is something else wrong now and I don't need to.

Thanks again,
Jay
Jay
Robert

Hi Jay,

The sequencer controls the elements and the blower motor, so that would be my focus.

Also be sure your A-Coil is clean and filter so as to allow good airflow across the element coils.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
jnoscal

Hi Robert,

I checked the coils with a meter with the unit on. The unit is running a 240VAC line. The bottom element has 230VAC running to each terminal. The top element has nothing to either terminal. There is 230VAC going into the transformer and to each terminal on the right side as well as the limeit switches. Is the top supposed to have a voltage going to it? Does that sequencer also run the blower? Is it safe to assume that all I should need is a new sequencer for the top element? Am I jumping to conclusions too early?

Thanks again,
Jay
Jay
jnoscal

jnoscal wrote:Hi Robert,

I checked the coils with a meter with the unit on. The unit is running a 240VAC line. The bottom element has 230VAC running to each terminal. The top element has nothing to either terminal. There is 230VAC going into the transformer and to each terminal on the right side as well as the limeit switches. Is the top supposed to have a voltage going to it? Does that sequencer also run the blower? Is it safe to assume that all I should need is a new sequencer for the top element? Am I jumping to conclusions too early?

Thanks again,
Jay
Robert,

I just flipped the breaker off and let it rest for a few minutes. When I turned it back on, there was voltage to all four terminals on the sequencer side. Could a relay be getting stuck, too?
Jay
Robert

Hi Jay,

The sequencer is the relay, it controls the elements and the blower.

Do you need ordering info ?

Thanks,
Robert
jnoscal

Hi Robert,

Yes, the part number would be great. I can order it today and hopefully have it installed by Wednesday.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jayson
Jay
Robert

Hi Jay,

Just getting back on here, sorry for delay.

Sequencer # 01-0843 can be seen and order through PayPal

from right side of page here :

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/NordyneElec.html

Thanks,
Robert
jnoscal

Hi Robert,

The part has been ordered. Hopefully I can get it in hand by Wednesday. I'll post to this again a couple days after the part is installed to let you know whether it is working properly.

Again, thanks for all your help. It is really appreciated.

Jayson
Jay
Robert

Hi Jay,

You're very welcome, happy to help and thanks for ordering.

I'm not sure if Mark is open tomorrow or not, if he is, may get it Wednesday.

If not, look for Thursday. It is usually 2 to 5 days depending on the shipper, weather, etc... .

Thanks,
Robert