20 year old Intertherm furnace - replace it?...

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

loveoldtrux

Hi dudes!! Nice NEW forum!!

The target burner has melted again (it had to be replaced about 10 years ago). I took pictures of the burner's guts and took to an appliance place where they sell the replacement Intertherm targets. They said by the pix the "furnace" needs to be replaced!!
I see a bunch of debri in the burner's guts, but I thought that's probably debris from the old target ( I know when they melt / deteriorate they don't just "evaporate"). Do I really need to "replace" it or are they just trying to sell something?

The furnace is 20 years old .... that means it's time to "replace" it???

Is this something a carpenter / mechanic / roofer / plumber / electrician / home-builder / computer tech (myself) can do if ***I*** install it and then have the seller "finish it up" to save $500.00 - $600.00?

Thanks...
hvac1000

On this item I would have a professional do the work. You are playing with fire if you know what I mean. Best to have it done correctly to prevent any problems. While the service man is there have them look over your furnace for any other problems.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.