Spark ignition

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

pjmdblwd

Hello, I currently have a Nordyne model MGHA-075ABFC-01 furnace with a pilot ignition system and would like to convert to a electronic spark ignition due to pilot light issues when it is very windy out. Is this possible? Thank you for any assistance you guys (and gals) can provide.
hvac1000

There are no kits available that I know of to change over to spark ignition that would be approved for your mobile home furnace. If you furnace was originally available with spark ignition option then you could change it over but the cost of all the parts would make it prohibitive.

Save your $$ and get a new high efficiency furnace. They are much more efficient than what you have now and you will save much more on you gas bill. According to most manufactures spark ignition only saves one to two percent where as a new 92 to 95 % furnace will save you about 30%.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
pjmdblwd

Thanks for the info. Can you recomend any web sites that have good prices on furnaces? Thanks in advance
hvac1000

That is a good question. What I can tell you is this. Most equiptment manufactures will not honor the warrenty that comes with the unit if bought over the net (IE Ebay). There reasoning is solid since most home owner buyers are not qualified to install a furnace and they are obviousely not a dealer there is a huge risk of damage both long and short term from a improper install.

Sad to say most people find this out a short while after there purchase when a problem happens and they need a part and the factory refuses to send a replacement. This has happened many times in the past and it happens NO MATTER what the salesman on Ebay tells you.

You also need special training and tools to install a furnace especially the new ones. It is not like the old days when you just slapped it in and let it rip. The new equiptment has to be setup properly and many items need to be checked and adjusted. A few examples. Gas pressure check and set for the unit since they are now sensitive to this. A CO test and adjustment to check for proper combustion efficiency ETC.

You can spend 2000.00 just for the tools to do all of the tests reequired for the install and not only that but you need training to learn how to use the tools properly.

Sometimes it is a good idea to saye $$ and do it yourself. In this case you really need to call a professional. Good luck with your endevor.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.