Blower heating up when off

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bananasniffers

I have a Nordyne model# C3QA047UB serial # C30970562823 blower. The A coil is on top of the motor and heating elements. It is all electric. Condensation does run down and fill up the area where the elements are. We have had them replaced 3 different times. We finally gave up the heating part and got a wood stove for heat. The problem we have been having is that the blower feels hot even when the AC is off. For the last two days, the AC has run non stop trying to cool the house down. The copper pipes surrounding the A coil got freesing cold, but as soon as it came out of the vents it felt barely cool. Last night we turned off the AC and opened the windows. This morning I went to check to see if by some miracle the AC might work, but I found that the closet area had heat just coming off of it. The copper pipes were hot to the touch and the motor was hot. Even the A coil felt warm. I immediately shut off all the breakers to the area, but I need to know what it possibly could be and what can I do to fix it. We live in Texas, so it's mighty hot outside. Oh, yeah, and we have had this unit for 10 years.
hvac1000

Sounds like your indoor a/c coil is freezing up. When it defrosts the water goes into the furnace and not out the drain as it is supposed to do.

Check for a dirty air filter. If that is OK then you will need to have the unit serviced. Many times the coil will freeze up because the outside unit is undercharged. It is best to let a professional take care of that problem.

It also sounds like you may have developed a electric short due to the long term water proble. it will probably be best to just turn off all power to the units at your breaker panel and let the repair man sort it out.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.