Question about burned wiring on e2eb-015ha

Questions about repairs and parts for Nordyne furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes including Intertherm, Mac and Miller brands. Click here for Nordyne parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

thomasclay

Hello all,
I have a doublewide we just purchased and money is very tight right now.Our ac unit quit working recently.We heard a pop and the circuit breaker to the air handler tripped.The ac compressor outside wouldn't come on as the coil was missing 24 volts.i could jumper the contactor out and the unit would still cool and the fan in the air handler would still run.I thought well the 24 volt transformer is shot.I did get 24 volts at the thermostat so i dug further.
My wife noticed the thermostat had blinked also,Checking the wiring revealed nothing obvious until I removed the cover to the unit and found a big black scorched mark on the inner panel.
The wiring to the sequencers was melted together and several wires were melted together.The heating elements looked good as well.
This unit has always seemed very inefficient.I'm guessing the sequencers had been an issue for a while and the multi speed air handler motor was only running at one speed.
I have ordered new parts and a wiring harness.
Any ideas as to what caused this?Age perhaps?I won't be able to afford a new ac unit until next year at the earliest.
Thanks for any insight.