Web site troubles

Find an error, need help completing a profile, have a suggestion? Ask us anything relating to the function of this website. Unable to post? Then email us from the contact page.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

squirt13

Over the last week or so I have been having major troubles getting onto the web page. Then if I can, everytime I go to open a posting I get re-routed to google page that says Error 504 'mobilehomerep...' Gateway Timeout.

Is others having the same problem...or does anybody have any ideas how to solve this?

Hopefully I can get back to the site to see the posting to this.
Yanita

Hi Squirt,

I really do not know what the problem is...

I will notify some help...

In the mean time I am going to move this to the Website Questions Forum.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

A 504 gateway error is a problem with servers communicating somewhere in the path your request is taking. Not really something you can do something about. But if it is a server problem or a level 3 server problem, I am sure they are fixing it as fast as possible.

Some servers will list certain IP addresses as dubious. This could be the IP of an upstream server or your web server. You would need to contact your ISP to fix that.

Another possibility (if you use AOL) I have dealt with in the past is the AOL sucks adapter. Originally, I thought this meant adapting to the way AOL sucks, but it is actually a thing. Below are the instructions I used to clear up the AOL problem.

Hopefully this helps, if not hopefully a more computer savvy person will come up with a solution.

CLEAR THE WEB BROWSER CACHE AND REBUILD THE AOL ADAPTER
A damaged Web browser cache and/or a damaged AOL Adapter may cause this issue. Windows© networking requires that a network adapter exist for any application that must access the Internet. The AOL software uses the AOL Adapter to access the Internet.

1. Sign off and close the AOL software.
2. On the Windows taskbar next to the clock, click the AOL© icon, then click SYSTEM INFORMATION....

NOTE: If the AOL icon is not displayed, click the START button, select PROGRAMS or ALL PROGRAMS, select AMERICA ONLINE, then click AOL SYSTEM INFORMATION.

3. Click the OK button.
4. Click the UTILITIES tab.
5. In the BROWSER section, next to CURRENT CACHE, click the CLEAR button until the Current Cache Size reads 0 KB.
6. In the AOL UTILITIES section, next to AOL ADAPTER, click the REBUILD button.
7. Click the OK button.
8. Click the CLOSE button.
9. Restart the computer and launch the AOL software again. The AOL Adapter will be rebuilt automatically.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
squirt13

Thanks JD I will try what you sent me. I never use to have problems getting on the website before. It has just been the last couple of weeks.

I'll let you know how it goes, that is when I can get on.

Thanks
Greg

Squirt, Try loging in on I.E. rather than AOL if that is what you are using, I have had problems on both but IE seems to work when AOL isn't. Are you using Vista? I have had nothing but problems with it on all fronts as far as I am concerend that is where the bulk of my problems lie. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark
Site Admin

Greg,

Surprising some of your Vista issues haven't worked themselves out. Our laptop has Vista, and it's been slick as can be. Only big issue we had was that the Ipod software didn't work right. But that's been resolved so its been smooth sailing. When you encounter an issue, have you tried turning off all your security software to see if that helps? Security software these days bugs the heck out of me. They got you so secure, you almost can't even get on the internet. I'm still trying to decide which one to use with Vista. So far I've tried Norton and AVG's full program. Probably try McAfee next, as that's what I use on all my other computers. All have their quirks.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Greg

Mark, I personally like McAfee, BUT, after I installed it on this unit (after I had talked to their tech support) I could not even get to the desktop. I had to go to system recovery and turn back the clock just to get it to boot.
I stand by my thought that this OS was a rushed program that we are field testing for microsoft for free. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."