Shorten a URL?

Find an error, need help completing a profile, have a suggestion? Ask us anything relating to the function of this website. Unable to post? Then email us from the contact page.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Lorne

Is there a way to shorten
"http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhoto ... 892&page=1" down to the word "Here" or "click" as is possible on the RVnet Forum.

When you click on the "Link" symbol a box opens and there is a space to paste the URL and below it there is a space to enter a term, such as "Look here" or "Try this" or anything else.

Above this message box here it says "Message body" with a line of symbols, one of which says "URL".

How do I utilize these boxes, or has Alzheimer's and Mad Cow kicked in already?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
JD
Site Admin

I believe you need to use BBCode to make links. I will try it below.

Linked to pictures

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JD
Site Admin

Here I am copying instruction on how to use the code to make the link. Not sure if this will work, but will try.

OK, so the instructions ended up looking like a mess. You can read the instructions for links as well as other codes at the following link.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode

This link goes to the same URL
Here I am using the code that allows me to shorten a very long URL to a shorter, or not, link

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Serena

JD, thanks! That's most helpful.
Lorne

visit

Hey thats great. Your the man. No offense Yanita.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Yanita

LOL, no offense taken... I am not a man! :D

Actually I have never used that bcc code so have no clue about it, when I want to leave a link I simply do the copy/paste procedure.

Generally when a person says that can't use the function I go and check there profile settings and discover that when they set up there user profile they click bcc function off.

Glad you got the info needed... :D

Anita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Lorne

Boy, your up early.

I was curious about this bbcode thing and I found
this and thought it might help to understand how the different codes are used.

Back to school time. :lol:
Manitoba Bill

There should be a caveat that such links be very carefully spelled out what they are.

Not everyone wants to visit sites that are dial-up intensive or advertising, etc.

We should not make extra work for Mods having to check out each link.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Yanita

Thanks Bill,

Great knowing that someone realizes we do have to check out all links posted on site, even those within profiles...for just the reasons you mentioned.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Ivanova

Might not be what you're after, but this site:

http://tinyurl.com/

is GREAT! You just copy/paste your HUGE URL into the box and it renders it into a "mini" URL that never expires.

I use it all the time! Got it bookmarked!

:)
AT