McGuyver section?

Find an error, need help completing a profile, have a suggestion? Ask us anything relating to the function of this website. Unable to post? Then email us from the contact page.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

busybee1952

I wonder if anyone else would be interested in a McGuyver section on this website for those of us who cannot, for whatever reason, repair and upgrade on the high-end level. A truly, "do it yourself" using unique solutions that get you by without major risks to life and limb. Might have a disclaimer about anything posted there not being the advice of the moderators, etc. Anyone interested?
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

Do you not think we are addressing those needs?

I thought we do pretty good at meeting the needs of those that can not afford the high end repairs/upgrades.

I personally can not give permission for this, but I will certainly let Mark know of your idea, and have him respond to this thread.

Have a great day!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

I too thought that the site was geared like your suggested 'McGuyver section.'

However, we are working on a new section that may be more what you are thinking. We're adding a section of short how-to videos. I've shot a couple videos to get the section started. We're also asking others to submit their videos. These days most digital cameras have video capablilities, so taking videos should be a snap.

Take a sneak peak: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/how-to-videos.php

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Yanita

Hi Busybee,

Maybe you could give us some suggestions of what you are referring to?

I feel bad to think that we are not meeting the needs for all that come here.

Please give us some thoughts...

Yanita
busybee1952

You guys are great, don't get me wrong. Always helpful, thoughtful, and knowledgeable. I'm looking for really unique, non-traditional ideas though. Maybe not as "redneck" as tires on the roof (GASP!!!) but nevertheless, unusual ways to remedy a problem, especially free or way cheap. In fact, here is a great site that shows us what NOT to do with mobile homes. Funnier than heck and so true since I used to live in Mississippi.

http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/park.html

For instance, the new handle on my hot water heater access door. (Shower rod bolted on with antenna clips)
JD
Site Admin

The how-to videos are great! I will try to come up with a couple that Mark might want to use. That may be the most helpful function yet. Everything makes a lot more sense when you actually see the different phases of a repair.

All of the members of mobilehomerepair.com are repairing, upgrading and decorating their homes. When we combine everyone's experiences into a forum like this, we broaden the scope of everyone's information on products, helpful hints and tips. If there is a way to save money, work or frustration in any repair, we all want to hear about it.

The experiences of all these fine folks will also tell us what not to do. Saving money or time on a repair that will end up costing more more money and time later may be a choice, but generally not a good recommendation. I have seen shingle roofs installed over metal roofs that destroyed homes. I have seen water damaged floors repaired by just nailing down new plywood over the old floors, which ended up making the home unlivable due to mold issues. I have seen many homes become infested with termites because someone used plywood or hardboard siding for skirting.

I feel being frugal and creative in our repairs is what this forum is all about and Pat (Busybee) is a testament to that. As active members of our web site, Pat and others are constantly bringing in fresh ideas. The many seasoned pros and advanced DIYs on this site help us from crossing the line where alternative ideas meets disaster and danger. That is what makes mobilehomerepair.com such a great web site.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark
Site Admin

Videos can be the simplest things. Maybe its a video of cleaning the screen on your kitchen faucet or adjusting the closure on your screen door -- it don't have to be complicated. In my opinion, short concise videos are the best (under 2 minutes with commentary) -- and probably the easiest to view for those who have less than an ideal internet connection.

So get out those digital cameras. Let's see those videos!

Mark
busybee1952

Sorry Mark, I won't be able to contribute any videos. No video camera, slow dial up connection. Won't be able to watch any either. Sounds like a good idea though.
busybee1952

Sorry I even brought this up. Yanita can you just delete this thread? It was a bad idea.
dandjbarrett

:( I think its a great idea. I came to this site to learn how to do the most elementary of things since I've never done ANY type of household or home repair and know absolutely NOTHING about fixing existing things (like even recaulking/resealing the bathtub) and simple little things that most people who know how to do simple repairs take for granted. I'm totally a newbie to doing it myself and appreciate any kind of MAINTENANCE tips. I cannot for many reasons completely rebuild or upgrade my home a great deal. I've got to take baby steps to figure things out until I can afford to do big projects. My favorite article so far on the site is the one about repairing loose electrical plugs. That is one of things I really needed done and appreciate. I've learned a lot here (like not using stick on tiles to replace my kitchen floor) and more, but at this point, I'm enjoying learning how to do simple things. I think your idea was a wonderful one.
busybee1952

Thanks Dandi. I just get a little frustrated sometimes because I don't know how to do much of anything either but nevertheless, it must be done somehow. I can't go to Menards or Lowe's to get stuff because it's 40 miles away! I don't have a helper, no professionals to consult, only basic tools which do not include an air nailer, sawsall, or even a screwgun that will actually sink a screw all the way into a 2 x 4. I scrounge most all of my materials, I'm not very strong, and have a very limited budget. These projects I have undertaken are way beyond my skills and resources but yet they must somehow be accomplished. I realize that I may have to do things over in the future but I need to get through this year and the next as best I can and am looking for any possible shortcuts and easier way of doing things I can find. I don't care if I make "House Beautiful" and frankly, I don't care if I'm up to code. Our ancestors lived through worse conditions than I will ever impose upon myself. Some of us just have to make-do and don't have many choices. If I must "McGuyver" it, that's what I will do until I can do better.
Yanita

Hi,

I can certainly understand your situation, went thru the same many years ago.

As long as we know your skill level, LOL, what people like yourself will honestly admit to, and alluding to financial abilities then we can certainly try to accommodate.

As you said, many fabulous homes have been built, maintained without the use of air nailer's, staple guns etc... for home repairs and general maintenance I personally do not worry about the latest brand name and all the accessories available.

As for tools there are a few basic ones...a drill is great, and can be had really cheaply at pawn shops, a skill saw is another one. Of course you already the basic, screwdriver and hammer. A level is good and can bought cheaply as well.

I can totally understand your frustrations, but we can address it with your experiences and honesty. Sometimes folks have not been in your shoes and they don't understand the facts as they are, a $75.00 tool is just not gonna happen, or can happen!

Many times I have posted about using your local Habitat for Humanity stores, Goodwill etc, there are a ton of consignments shops in about every local. Not to mention Freecycle and Craigslist on the Internet. At least 3 times a month a use our local Freecycle community.

BusyBee, sorry I did not answer your request earlier, but I could not get on the forums, would let me on site just not into the forums...LOL, see folks you are not the only ones sometimes.

I really prefer not to delete this thread as it is written honestly from you and your feelings about ways to keep your home maintained and repaired without the costly items. BUT, I will not tolerate any sarcasm or disrespect to those that may not have the higher end fix abilities for whatever the personal reasons.

As for codes..JMO, But I do not believe that Mark will encourage the posting of creative repairs that blatantly ignore codes. Codes are established to protect you and your home. I will send him an email asking him to post on his opinion of such.

You have a great day!

Yanita
Mark
Site Admin

McGuyver repairs are fine for some things, but others it could make the situation a disaster. For instance, you McGuyver over a water leak, and a few months later you could end up in the hospital with the effects of mold & such. You McGuyver the outlet over your stove, and you could electricute yourself when you accidently drop your electric knife into the water.

When anyone owns a home, they must be able to maintain it in a safe manner. If they can't maintain a home due to lack of ability, tools or finances, then perhaps home ownership isn't right for them at this time. Right now we're talking about little repairs. But what happens when something big happens like the water heater leaks, or a pipe breaks or the furnace goes out?

Some people buy homes figuring that when something major does break, the gov't will help them out. To me, that's just wrong but many do it.

When someone posts a repair question, the answers generally include the safest and most economical way to do the fix. Eye-appeal is also a consideration. Take it from myself, a park manager. Some McGuyver repairs make the home look bad, which makes the park look bad. In that case, I ask those tenants to do the repair right. For instance, if you have a broken window, the window needs fixed. Duct taping over the crack is not acceptable.

Mark
dandjbarrett

I can see the point of view that jerry-rigging some things is simply unsafe for the homeowner, his family and the other homeowners in the park. When I think of simple things, I think of basic things like my post in the best caulk to use for my windows and I'm really pleased that someone asked how to do it neatly. Those types of things mean the world to me since I'm totally new at this repair game. My home appears to be structurally sound and believe me if I thought a water heater was about to go or a furnace or I had plumbing leaks, I'd have to call a licensed, bonded professional. There's no way I could undertake such things. I thought McGyvering meant simple fixits for minor problems. I'd be terrified to do something that violated housing codes.
busybee1952

Yeah, good thing I live out in the woods where no one can actually see me put duct tape on my screens.

I work hard, pay my own way, don't ask for any help and bite the bullet when it comes to major things like installing a furnace which cost me $1500.00, not including the price of the furnace.

My place is neat and clean although certainly not up to some folks standards, I'm sure. The few people who come here have said that I've done miracles for this place and have it looking really good.

I try to use my brain on my McGuyver stuff. Would you rip up your carpet and then paint the particle board floor with deck paint? Probably not, but I did. It looks way better than that nasty old carpet did. Would you hand dig your own septic? Probably not, but I did. (with help) Would you put your well down with a big piece of tree trunk with two boards attached to it, standing on a scaffold? Probably not, but I did. (with help. We all took turns pounding it down) Would you have some professional cement people lay your concrete? Yes, you probably would but I didn't. I had a picnic and invited a bunch of people who all pitched in and leveled the cement as it was poured from the truck. All of those things were done according to code and passed inspection as well. Does that mean I shouldn't be a homeowner because I don't pay someone else to do everything for me or because I am not your everyday conventional person? I hope not. I don't want to give the impression that everything around here is duct-taped or wired together with glue and bubble gum, yet on the other hand, I do like to hear of the ingenious, cheap, do it yourself methods that people come up with to solve problems.